Thyroid Disorders Community
Hypothyroidism & High Cholesterol

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hypothyroidism & High Cholesterol

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about a year ago. In April 2008 I was stabilized on 100mgs of Levothyroxine. Everything seemed to be fine.

I just started with a new GP since I moved to a new state. I had them test my Thyroid and Cholesterol levels because my weightloss has stopped even though I am very active (I am 5'3" and weigh 187lbs). The results came back that my TSH levels are normal, but my bad cholesterol is high and my good cholesterol is low. The doctor recommended that I come in for a full physical and to discuss treatment options for the high cholesterol.

Could the high cholesterol be connected to my TSH, T4 or T3 levels? Is it possible that I need a combo of T4 and T3 treatment? Should I consult an endocrinologist? I really don't want to pump my body full of statins unless it is necessary.

I think that you should be seeing an endo.  I was 13 when I was first diagnosed with high cholesterol.  I was an ovo-lacto vegetarian and a gymnast.  I was 4'9 and weight about 70 lbs.  So, the high cholesterol was throwing the doctors off based upon my life style.  The doctor insisted that I go on cholesterol meds ASAP.  No one suggested that I have my thyroid tested... but my mother read a blurb about Hashimoto's and the connection with high cholesterol and begged the doctor to have my levels checked.  Well, sure enough... I had 0% function of my thyroid.  

The endo I was seeing at the Cleveland Clinic was shocked that I was even walking around!!!  In fact, he wanted to do a study on my family and the familial connection between thyroidism and high cholesterol.  Just my opinion, but I think you should consult with an endo before you go on cholesterol meds.