Thyroid Disorders Community
Hypothyroidism after 2 years of remission from Graves Disease

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hello all, it's been a while since I've posted in this forum but here I am again. I am 29 years of age and had Graves disease for two years before going into remission in September 2009. Last month I got my physical and the results showed that my TSH is 14.830 with a normal Free T4. I was prescribed Synthroid at 50 MCG but I don't want to take it until I get a second round of blood work. I have made an appointment to see an Endocrinologist next month but does anyone have any suggestions on whether or not I should wait to take the Synthroid. Thank you in advance.
What's the actual result of your FT4 and the reference range (varies lab to lab so has to come from your own lab report)?

How do you feel?  Do you have hypos symptoms?
Sorry for the late response but my Free T4 is right at the acceptable range of 0.82. I am only tired but other than that I had no idea anything was wrong. I saw my endocrinologist and he said that it is best that I take the Synthroid since my TSH is significantly high. Thank you
Reference ranges vary lab to lab, so you have to post ranges with results.  However, a typical FT4 range is 0.8-1.8, and based on that, you are way too low in the range.  The rule of thumb is that FT4 should be about midrange for symptoms to be relieved.  

Your TSH is high.  TSH is a pituitary hormone and a very poor indicator of thyroid status.  However, that being said, a TSH of 14.83 indicates that your pituitary wants your levels higher.

Fatigue is a symptom of hypo.  I'm betting you'd feel better on meds.