Thyroid Disorders Community
Hypothyroidism and Hyperhidrosis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hypothyroidism and Hyperhidrosis

I recently went to the Dr. for a normal check-up and my Dr. seemed concerned about me having hypothyroidism so she had me take a blood test. The results came back as "normal". I have many if not all symptoms including excessive weight gain even though I dont hardly eat and I'm not lazy. I've gained about 20 lbs in the last 6 months and it hasn't been from my doing, and my armpits and hands sweat like crazy, so I was also wondering if Hyperhidrosis could be the result of Hypothyroidism. I know excessive sweating is with hyperthyroidism but was wondering if it can be for Hypothyroidism as well. I'm completely lost as to what to do. I know my body and I know something is wrong but my test results came back as normal, but I know your thyroid can still be off regardless. I need some answers.

Sincerly,
Danielle
If your thyroid levels are normal then symptoms are probably caused by other health conditions that share some of thyroid symptoms. If you are not already diagnosed and  treated hypothyroid per thyroid levels, that is, if you have normal levels, then you are not hypothyroid.

I have not read a connection between Hyperhidrosis and Hypothyroidism.
As you probably know already, Hyperhidrosis is a genetic condition and millions of people suffer with the symptoms.
Hyperhidrosis is caused by a hyperactive sympathetic nervous system.  
Causes of secondary hyperhidrosis include Acromegaly, anxiety, arthritis, Cancer, Carcinoid syndrome, Certain medications and substances of abuse, exercise, Glucose control disorders, gout, Heart disease, hyperthyroidism, hypoglycemia, insulin,
Lung Dsease, lymphoma, menopause, obesity, Parkinsons disease, Pheochromocytoma, Spinal cord injury, rheumatoid , stress, Stroke, Spinal cord injury,  tuberculosis or other infections, vitiligo, and heredity.

If you haven't already perhaps you should be tested and treated for Hyperhidrosis
or for all the secondary hyperhidrosis. No connection to hypothyroidism.

Have you guys ever heard of the “Sage Tea Treatment” for hand sweating?

Here’s how it works.  Sage Tea contains super high levels of Tannic Acid, a natural astringent.  The tannic acid natural dries out your skin.  That’s why you may have heard, if you have excessive sweating, dring a lot of sage tea.

So anyway…

To use this treatments you’ll want to go to your local supermarket and buy Sage Tea.  Go home and fill a big bowl with 4 or 5 tea bags.  Then mix in hot water to great a big tea solution.  Soak your hands in it for about 20 minutes.

Once your done, your  hands might be tanned a little from the tea.  This is totally normal and the tan color will wash off with soap and water.

If you do this treatment for about 3 days in a row, you’ll notice a significant difference in your hand sweating.  Also, you can use this treatment on your feet as well.  Actually a lot of people like using it on their feet because it neutralizes the foot odor associated with sweaty feet.  Your feet will smell great AND stay dry.  Try it out!

Also, make sure you get your FREE Sweat Tactics video at http://www.Prevent-Sweating.com
Graveslady you are very medically misinformed. "Hyperhidrosis" is a foolish term to use. It is analogous to "Irritable Bowel Syndrome". None of those "diagnoses" are real. "Hyperhidrosis" may exist for a number of reasons just like you said. Danielle is absolutely correct. You may still have a thyroid disorder even if the blood tests come back within a good range. The topic of the thyroid is still ambiguous and obscure in modern day medicine. Don't try to put labels ignorantly Graveslady. Danielle, keep trying because you're probably on to something. Don't let fools like Graveslady, who's paranoid delusions manifest themselves in almost every comment she writes on the internet. Work with your T3 medication (ofcourse under dr. supervision) Danielle and see if you notice any change.
I also neglected to mention Danielle, that you should check your TSH levels. I misread your comment that said you were not diagnosed with hypothyroidism so that would mean you do not take any supplemental hormones. Disregard my suggestion to work with T3 levels. Sorry for the misread.
I have the same thing going on...I sweat ridiculous...here is my recent finding... listen to Marissa111 keep trying to figure it out.  I am not sure all the blood test I just got done, but what was found is my antiboties were high in my thyroid while the other level they test was normal, as a result I ended up at an endocronologist with a diagnoses of "Hashimoto Hypothyroidim" it is a dieases.  Get a good Endocronologist.  
I experianced major sweating before i knew i was hypothyroid, thought it was peri-meno...so , yes it CAN be a hypo or hyper thyroid symptom..especially as you say you have other symptoms you think might be thyroid related..get a full thyroid panel! good luck
also hyperhidrosis can be w/o apperent cause....an issue on it's own.....and , woofytalk, ALL tea's have tannic acid!
i have sweating on hands feet and  left eyebrow and i get angry easy and back pains and my hands go really cold and feet and skin goes weird colour when im in cold weather also when my back hurts i sometimes get headaches and spasms or random headaches where would i go to test if i have any disorders like make sure tjey fully body  test me for those symtpoms and see what i actually have even for things i dont know i have? thanks raymond
hey im raymond just really because i have hyperhydrosis (sweating hands,feet and left eybrow) and was curious when u got diagnosed with hypothyroid and you also said you have excessive sweating did you have hyperhydrosis aswell? or once you treated hypothyroid did the excessive sweating go away.