Thyroid Disorders Community
Hypothyroidism and Soy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hypothyroidism and Soy

Is it true that since I have hypothyroidism I should avoid soy-based foods? I've been drinking Soy milk, and have been making more of an effort to avoid beef (to consume less calories). Instead of beef, I've been eating soy based "meat".
However, I am gaining more weight than ever, and my own doctor had not heard that soy should be avoided.
Yes soy should be avoided
This is a real delima for me about avoiding soy foods--I've read that on so many thyroid info sites.  I have Celiac disease [need to eliminate all gluten from wheat, rye, barley and oats]  and I am very dairy intolerant -- to the point that I have to keep any dairy products from all foods and medication (lactose in meds is a problem).  I have been using soy milk, absolutely love soy yogurt, and enjoy tofu to fill-in for all the dairy foods I can not have. Boooo!  No more Purely Decadant Soy Ice Cream.  Yumm!  This is pure torture!!!!   I am new to this thyroid business --I just started taking thryroid hormone as I have a goiter and am high risk for thyroid cancer (radiation to head as a child).  My dr says worst case, I may need to have my thyroid removed.  Oh well...even at my low beginning dose hormone, when I cheat and eat my beloved soy yogurt, I can really feel the differance.  The joint and muscle achiness + fatigue compounds because the hormone med doesn't work as well.  So, there must be something to the avoidance issue with soy foods.  (tears!)  
Soy is the enemy!! LOL  Really....stay away from the stuff...it will make your goiter worse and will cause absorption problems  for thyroid hormone.....where's the beef??
(Comment supported by your local beef councel) HAHA!   Actually my family were beef farmers...we raised black angus before it became a popular expensive beef.
Just try to do more organic and natural meats.