Thyroid Disorders Community
Hypothyroidism? or Mood Disorders?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hypothyroidism? or Mood Disorders?

I would like your input as I went back to see my psychiatrist regarding my medication in which she changed Doxepin from 100 mg to 50 mg (due to the fact of me telling her that I am very fatigued) and am still on Trazodone 100 mg she also added Haldol 0.5 mg at bedtime as I was telling her about my anxiety problems where I feel alot of sensations going through my body, feeling shaky etc.    I also have been medically diagnosed as having 'hypothyroidism along with 'borderline' diabetes.  I am currently taking Synthroid 50 mcg for my hypothyroidism but just watching my diet for the diabetes.  My prim dr tells me the anxiety is NOT caused by hypothyroidism but other people say it maybe a factor.  I will be seeing my prim dr in Oct for a followup on my hypothyroidism.
My latest blood test from July is as follows:
Hemoglobin A1C 6.5 which Ref Range 4.0-6.0 Est. Average Glucose 139.9   Ref range 68.0-126.0   T4, Free 1.31  Ref. Range 0.80-1.80  TSH-Ultrasensitive 8.66  Ref. Range 0.35-5.50.  I also had another blood test done back in April which was:  T4 Free 1.27  Standard Range 0.80-1.80       T3 Free 2.9  Standard Range 2.3-4.2    TSH-Sensitive 6.74  Standard Range 0.35-5.50   Do you think that my Thryoid has something to do with my Anxiety and Depression problems that I am experiencing on a daily basis?   What do you think?
I would suggest that you have your doctor refer you to an endocrinologist. Your Free T4 level is holding nicely, but your free t3 is a little low. Did you know that a lower free t3 has been found to cause depression? Usually a good psychiatrist will test for this since it has become a factor for many patients answers to depression. Your TSH just isn't registering properly with your Free T4. You may need some further pituitary tests.
Personally speaking I think that I would demand to see an endocrinologist. I would also ask your psychiatrist to look up and read all the numerous studies pertaining to depression and T3 levels.  
I agree with laura.

it appears you may have a problem converting T4 into T3.  While many Dr's seem to dismiss this possibility, some trials have indicated that up to 60% of the people may have this problem.

Don't be too alarmed, as simply adding in a T3 medication component can solve this situation.

You may want to ask your Dr to change medication to natural Armour which has both T3 and T4 components.  Or add a small dosage of T3 medication such as Cytomel.

The trick is that most people will get symptom relief when their Free T4 is about mid range and yours is exactly mid range.  AND their Free T3 in the UPPER 1/3 of the range.  You are testing FT3 at 2.9.  The upper 1/3 of the range starts at 3.57.

So as a target you will want to try to get your FT3 to 3.5 or above.

Remember that everyone is different and need a different level to feel well.  The mid range and upper 1/3 are a general guideline.

Also understand and have your Dr understand that TSH should be disregarded or at least NOT used as a primary tool.  When taking thyroid meds the medication can suppress TSH.  The body ONLY uses the Free T3 molecule and thus this is key to keep track of and it is the only test which correlates to symptoms.  TSH and even Free T4 have almost no correlation with symptoms unless they are dramatically off.

DO NOT.  let your Dr treat you until you simply fall somewhere in all of the so called "normal ranges".  If you don't get to mid range and upper 1/3 you will likely continue to not feel as well as you could.
COULD ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND MY RESULTS FROM THE LAB, WHICH MY DOCTOR SAYS THERE NORMAL BUT I HAVE MAJOR SYPTOMS (symptoms) OF HYPO. ESPECIALLY THE WEIGHT GAIN AND THE HAIR LOSS AT THE AGE OF 29.  THE TSH, 3RD GEN W/ REFLEX TO FT4 WAS 1.82. AND THE T3, FREE WAS 3.0 WHICH THERE REFERENCE RANGE IS 2.3-4.2. I ALSO HAVE 2 NODULES ON MY LEFT UPPER LOBE WHICH CAME BACK COLD SO IM WAITING TO GET A FNA. PLEASE ALL OPINIONS WILL HELP THANK YOU
Can someone tell me if 0.80 falls within the normal range for the T4 Free test?
Since thyroid test results will vary somewhat from one lab to another, they develop their own reference ranges for each test.  So it would be best to have the reference range from the lab that ran the test.  That said, I can say that frequently I see reference ranges for Free T4 that are in the area of .60 - 1.50, so your result would be lower than desired in that range.  Just because a thyroid test result falls within the range does not mean that it is adequate for you.  The ranges are far too broad.  

Also, the Free T4 test is not adequate for a good evaluation of thyroid levels.  You also need to test for Free T3.  Free T3 is the most important because it largely regulates metabolism and many other body functions.  Scientific studies have also shown that Free T3 correlated best with hypo symptoms, while Free T4 and TSH did not correlate.

What symptoms are you having that led you to be tested for thyroid hormone level?