Thyroid Disorders Community
Hypothyroidism vs. Gilbert's Syndrome
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Hypothyroidism vs. Gilbert's Syndrome

I recently had lab work done and showed that my bilirubin was high. I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and am still in the works of getting the right medication strength straightened out. I recently went from "hypo" to "hyper". The doctor has cut my dose down. What I'm curious about is if anyone has heard the relationship between these two? From me looking a little online I saw that they can go hand in hand at times. The doctor never addressed that my bilirubin level was high to me and I didn't realize until I asked for my lab work print out and looked.
7 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
798555_tn?1292791151
Yes, I have seen this here. I posted a similar post back a while. Drs do nothing for high bilirubin,  Gilbert's Syndrome.
Blank
Well I went back to previous labs and my bilirubin was 1.4 and now it's measuring at 1.5. I find it a little weird that the doctors arnt saying anything about it. How high is too high?
Blank
798555_tn?1292791151
Really, Drs do nothing for high biliruban.  Modern medicine just decided to give it a name. It has no known or proven symptoms other than lab values. At least as of now.

Agreed, it is weird.
Blank
Thank you for reply!
Blank
798555_tn?1292791151
If you find anything new with any future research on high bilirubin,  Gilbert's Syndrome, let us know. I've asked several Drs, googled, nothing found on this.
Blank
For what it's worth, I have the same condition, high bilirubin.  First noticed thirty years ago because the eye doctor noticed my eyes were slightly yellow. My levels are 2-4 usually but spiked to 8.5 when I had the flu.

Gilbert's Syndrome otherwise sometimes called Gilbert's Non-Disease.  High biirubin minus any other indications of liver disease.

Cause:About 5% of Europeans have a defective enzyme that converts bilirubin to whatever (I forget) and thus have above average bilirubin. Seems to be harmless except that people with high bilirubin levels have lower rates of heart disease.

Probably why your doctors didn't say anything.  Is unimportant.
Blank
1756321_tn?1377771734
My mother has Gilbert's Syndrome as well as hypothyroidism. I'm not sure of any connection between the two however.

Her symptoms due to Gilbert's Syndrome includes yellowish skin, gallstones (one study showed 25% of those with gallstones had Gilbert's Syndrome as compared with only 3% who did not have the condition); issues with metabolizing drugs - anaesthetic (was in hospital all day after surgery until she woke up); falls asleep on one paracetamol (known as tylenol in the US) and developed paracetomol toxicity; sweats excessively taking higher doses of vitamin D and omega 3 as the liver has a hard time processing it. And who knows what else! The listed possible symptoms are numerous.

Just to add, Gilbert's is pronounced jeelbears since this condition was named after French gastroenterologist Augustin Nicolas Gilbert. :)
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...