Hypothyroidism with painful Goiter
Has anyone in here had a painful goiter that not only hurts to touch it but also interferes with swallowing causing pain and making more solid foods difficult to swallow feeling like they are going to get stuck.  If so please let me know what the solution is... My GP said it was just a normal part of dealing with Hypothyroidism and that it would get better when the meds got my levels back to normal... Is this true or do I need to see an Endocrinologist about this ASAP.  My GP also never even mentioned an endo and only stated that they would set up an appt with one if I wanted them to.  They act like I am just being to sensitive to what is going on but I feel it is more to this than that.  Everything I have read on Thyroid problems says most goiters are painless.  Yet I am experiencing some severe pain with mine to the point where sometimes in the morning it hurts so bad that I wake up at 5 am and can't get back to sleep without taking some pain meds I usually reserve for pain with my Multiple Sclerosis.
898
if these symptoms is the results of "thyroiditis attack" condition, the antiinflammatory pain relievers were recommended.
I had/have on and off "soreness" and I have been using ibuprofen and sometimes Advid PM at night to help.  I mostly take it for the swelling and funky feeling I get with my neck and ear - it helps some, maybe it would help you.  Hope you feel better soon! ~Kim
What is the proper medication of painful goiter???

if the goitre is caused by very high TSh, then the proper treatment is thyroid medication to suppress the TSh and replace the missing hormones.

If the goitre is due to antibody attach on the thyroid then surgery may be considered.

Have they done ultrasound to try to determine why you have goitre?
You need to get your thyroid hormones tested, along with the TSH.  You also need to have antibodies tested, in order to find out what is causing the goiter.

TSH, by itself, does not cause symptoms; symptoms come from the lack (or excess) of the actual thyroid hormones, Free T3 and Free T4 (either hypothyoidism or hyperthyroidism).

If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, the body sees the thyroid as foreign and produces antibodies to destroy the thyroid.  As the destruction progresses, they thyroid will produce less and less hormones, causing hypothyroidism, which is treated with thyroid hormone replacement.