Thyroid Disorders Community
Hypothyroidism?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hypothyroidism?

I'm a 23-year-old woman and I've been suffering from diarrhoea for several years. One physician diagnosed lactose intolerance, but even now, on a lactose-free diet, I still have abdominal pain and diarrhoea every day.
I've recently heard that digestive problems can be a symptom of a thyroid disease, so I searched for information and found that I have several symptoms of hypothyroidism (although I know that diarrhoea is not typical): fatigue, cold intolerance, difficulties concentrating and remembering things, dry skin, a hoarse voice, rather heavy periods with a cycle of about 25 days (but that has always been the case), etc.
After looking through the blood tests that have been done in the last two years by two different physicians (in search for a reason for my digestive problems), I saw that the TSH values were still normal, but the TSH seems to be increasing. So I would like to know if I might have developed hypothyroidism in the meantime and it would be useful to consult a physician. My older blood test results were:

(March 2005):
TSH: 0.5
I am Hyper/Graves' and I suffer fatigue, cold intolerance all my life and memory is a-rye.
Meaning that hypos and hypers share some of the same symptoms, as well as other health issues, so symptoms alone does not asses to thyroid issue without Labs for backup. Meaning unusal Labs.
Your March Labs suggest Hyper/Graves'. Cannot comment on  February Labs without both F/Ts and Labs TSH reference range. If you got test results from different Labs, might explain the difference between the two TSH readings.  Each Lab has their own method of testing, therefore have different level values.  Plus, TSH changes from hour to hour, day to day, year to year, season to season, illness, diet and other causes. TSH of 2.42 for a healthy thyroid is not bad and nothing for complaint. The range depends on the Lab and its method. My Labs a new TSH range goes up to 4.8 from 6.9.  You can't go by what others say for their Labs range will be different and I suggest sticking with your Labs. Is is suggested that all (healthy) women have their thyroid/levels tested yearly.
Revaluated your Labs.
March Labs:  Low TSH shows hyperthyroidism.  FT-3 and FT-4 are pretty close to Labs mid ref. range, which suggest not autoimmune.
February Lab: TSH is still showing on the hyper side but is coming up to Labs mid. range.
Some people will have a  hyper period before  they go full blown hypo, likewise, hyper might have a hypo period before going full hyper, however, this normally happens with autoimmune.  Yet nothing might be wrong at all. I listed some reasons for  levels to be different, besides they were done almost a year apart, can't expect them to be the same at that length of time or that far apart in time.
My levels go in and out of Labs hyper ref. range every other Labs, which are done every three months, not saying that is a correct situation, but to show you that Labs can fluctuate and change through time, for various reasons such as other health issues or invirmental, or its just normal for your thyroid, etc.
Your Labs show  nothing to obsess about and be happy they are where they are at, for the time being anyway, future may possibly show otherwise. So, it is suggested for all women, to have levels check on a regular bases for they can go either way and you'd want to catch thyroid issue before any thyroid issue gets out of hand. Sorry for the misunderstand. I am not a doctor and this is just my peronal opinion based personal experience and what I have read.  Others might see it different. Good Luck!
I'm surprised to hear that my March results suggest hyperthyreoidism. Why? Probably because of the low TSH value, but then my fT3 and fT4 are rather in the lower range, not in the upper, as should be the case for hyperthyreoidism.
Sorry for not giving the TSH reference ranges, I thought they were only necessary for the fT values. For the first blood test, the TSH range was 0.1 - 4.0, the second one 0.27 - 4.2 (it was indeed at different labs). So in my opinion, this doesn't explain the large difference in the two TSH values.
Thanks a lot for your help!
wega
Thanks for your help. So I'll probably consult a physician and have  a look at how my lab values are at the moment.
Greetings, wega
Have the TSH, FT-4 and FT-3 done, and if FTs warrant, then antibodies to confirm.  Get copies of test results with Lab reference range. You can keep like a thyroid diary on the back, writing down how you feel, your symptoms, or what ever else is going on with you.  Makes it much easier to follow your thyroid progress and you can refer to it when you go to doctors without having to rely on memory alone.  Good Luck!