Thyroid Disorders Community
Hypothyroidism

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hypothyroidism

I have had this since 7/2004, now eight years later my dosage was just increased to from 100mcg to
125 mcg Levothyrroxine.

In the past 4 months, I have had massive headaches, usually 1 week prior to the onset of menses, increased menstruation flow, dizziness, muscle and joint pains,puffy face all the symptoms of hypothyroidism.

I'm currently seeing a primary doctor who is an internal medicine doctor. I have called and let them know, that
I recently increased my Sertraline (Zoloft) from 100mg to 150 mg. I was not informed this increase was too much.

Another thing since I'm 48 the chiropractor stated I was probably in Menopause.

I just started see a Chiropractor I haven't seen since 1996 and now recently because my muscles where so tight and had a big knot in my shoulder and up my neck and then going down to my lower shoulder blades.

In May, June and July I was  overexerting myself in landscaping outside..
I dug out a 10 year arborvitae shrub
I dug a 20 foot x 8" deep trench for a walkway
Pruned large forsysthia
Pruned blackberries.

She told me I might want to check with an Endocrinologist just
to get additional information , she asked me if they checked my iron.

I had a full blood test: 1/12/12
Cholesterol (MG/DL) 215
HDL (MG/DL) 55
LDL (MG/DL) 142
Triglycerides 91

Should I go see an Endocrinologist? About the way I feel which is worse than usual.
With all the physical work you've done with the landscaping, I'd be sore, too; I got tired just reading about your work!!   LOL

What other tests were done, besides cholesterol?  Were there any thyroid tests done?  If so, what were the results and be sure to include reference ranges, since those vary lab to lab and must come from your own report.

How long ago was your levo increased and what was the increase based on?  You should be having TSH, Free T3 and Free T4 tested periodically, to make sure your levels are adequate. If you haven't been tested since Jan and you have symptoms, it's time to get tested.  Do be sure to insist on TSH, plus Free T3 and Free T4.

Do you know if you have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis?

You should get reproductive hormones tested to verify menopause; all hormone levels must be balanced.  
Usually my doctor tells me the level. But this one did not.
Its usually TSH only

I don't know if I have Hashimoto's Throiditis?

And I'm going to get reproductive hormones tested to verify menopause.
Plus get another test for TSH and Free T3 and Free T4.

Yeah I use to be a landscape designer and have decided
I know how to do it, but can I ...
I know "how" to do a lot of things, but there those that are too much work are to be shunned at all costs.......lol         Of course, I'm teasing; I do my own landscaping and other yard work, too and sometimes I end up biting off more than I can chew.

Whenever you get lab results, try to get a printed copy and keep it for your records.  If you can't get a printed copy, be sure to ask reference ranges, as well as results, because ranges vary lab to lab and it's important to know where your results fall in the range used by your lab.

Do get the reproductive hormones, TSH, Free T3 (FT3) and Free T4 (FT4). Those will tell you where you are now, regarding both menopause and thyroid function.  

You should also ask for thyroid antibody tests to confirm/rule out Hashimoto's.... the tests you need are Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies (TPOab) and Thyroglobulin Antibodies (TGab).  Knowing whether or not you have Hashimoto's will help you know what to look for down the road, because as the antibodies attack and destroy healthy thyroid tissue, it will produce less and less hormones, which will have to be replaced with increasing doses of replacement hormones.
I currently have had real bad bouts of rage at work. I actually knock the toilet roll holder off the door. I'm in customer service on the phone and with the economy most of the customers are upset. I'm having difficulty coping with stress and anxiety. Went to see my doctor who  added Bupropion XL or Welbrutron 150mg then a week later after more crying and frustration at work he prescribed an additional of the Brupropion to 300 mg. He also prescribed Lorazepam or Ativan .05 mg for when I fell like I'm going to blow. Take a small bite he said and I can use it at night to help me sleep.
He also signed my FMLA for 1 week to return part-time for 4 hours a day for 1 month.
That evening I get a call from work I'm getting terminated. It's great to be out of that horrible job. But now I'm broke too bad I didn't ask for help last year.
Just saw a commercial for abilify, maybe this could help with my Sertraline. I just wish I could just take one medication. It seems like the pharmaceutical companies have a hold on us depressed people.
It's been almost a year since you posted this thread.  Have you had any thyroid blood work done?  We can't know your status without seeing results and reference ranges.

Depression and anxiety are symptoms of hypothyroidism.  The fact that you are having to add all these anti-depressants, anti-anxiety and sleep meds, indicates that you are hypo and need an increase in your thyroid med.  

Please get thyroid blood work done.  The tests you need are Free T3, Free T4 and TSH; we need those in order to suggest a course of action.  
Yes I had the test you suggested and the doctor did increase by 20 mcg. This was in Nov 2012.
And I just had more blodwork taken and the tests were normal.
hello

I did get the test done and his interpretation was not great. Next time I go which is May 23rd i will get a copy of the tests.

Anxiety and Depression are signs of needing increase but on 4/2/13 ny bloodwork came in normal. What # I don't know.

Also I'm late by 17 days for my period and I'm never late maybe could be sign of menopause. I'm hoping to stop but could this explain my moods?

Bontrac