Thyroid Disorders Community
Hysterical?!?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hysterical?!?

I went to see my GP as I constantly felt my throat was constricting and I was choking.  She sent me for an ultrasound of the thyroid and when I went back she was on holidays and her locum said I my problem was a hysterical *** something and was due to stress and to go home and destress myself, as if it was the easiest thing in the world to do!  I do have a lot of stress going on in my life and can just switch it off like a light so is there anything else I can do to ease this very uncomfortable situation?
Gee, this is first time I've seen this on the board .. I wish I could help you .. but no knowlege.  Let us know what you find out and how you are feeling .. hang in there .. Cheryl
I think the term is Globus Hystericus.  I've been told I had that too by an ENT.  I had a CT scan of my head and neck which turned up nothing, hence the globus hystericus.  I believe it is just the feeling of a lump in your throat.  The more I thought about it the worse it got!  Hope all is well.

I can only tell you my experience & hope yo will not feel like the only one.

Before, I was ever diagnosed with thyroid disease, one of the symptoms I was haveing was not being able to swallow properly feeling like my tubes had shrunk & at times no room for even drinks.
Would like you feel was going to choke.
I was down for an endoscopy, to take a look down & see if there was a problem (my GP didnt really want to send me for it...thought it was me 'worrying' but I think it was to shut me up)

Before I ever got to the endoscaopy appointment I found out about the Graves/Hyperthyroid. My GP said she had cancelled the Endoscopy & spoke to the doc that would have been doing it & she said they were pretty sure my symptom was due to thyroid & now I am going to be treated for that will no longer need the Endoscopy??!

Admittedly it did improve with the antithyroid meds. It on accasions comes back (I hate it ) but not so ofte...and personally I just see it as another (in the long list of) thyroid symptom.

Obviously I am no doc...thats just what happened to me.

You may be better to see another doc for a second opinion.

I still always carry a bottle of water to sip & mints to make me feel I can swallow better.........wont go anywhere without them.

I find when docs do not know something for sure...they always blame stress...which is just not fair at all.

Good luck hope you start to feel better soon.
Jen
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PETITION FOR BETTER DIAGNOSIS & TREATMENT  FOR THYROID PATIENTS
Thyroid patients who circle the world, feel the time is long overdue for the medical profession to amend the current protocol regarding the thyroid treatment

Sign the petition...who knows it could make a difference for us one day.

You made need to right click & copy the link then paste in your browser address bar

http://intlhormonesociety.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=53&tomHack_idp=10