Thyroid Disorders Community
I am always forgetting things

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I am always forgetting things

I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroid. I have been experiencing extreme forgetfullness.  I have even forgotten things on the stove and this is sooo not like me.  I forgot to pay my car insurance (big no no) and I can tell someone something, like make a date to go do something and I totally forget. Has anyone else experienced this?  My husband looks at me like "ok, what is the deal" and I just can't help it. I have other tests to ask for.  I want to be tested for Hashimoto's since I have other symptoms like sometimes I have energy and can't sleep and other times I can't get off of the couch.  Can anyone help with any advice!
WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY!

If you do a search for keyword: brain fog you'll see you are not alone!

I get this way, too, when I am too hyper .. hyper or hypo in not right am't for a person can cause this to happen.  I get word retrieval issues when too hyper!

Cheryl
i have the opposite...hyperthyroidism and have the same symptoms as you.  Some one could be asking me to do something at work... less than a minute later ill need to ask again what they said.
don't know if you mind, but how old are you? it may be age. I am 40 in 2 months and have been forgetful about things for maybe the past 2 yrs. Maybe we just have too much on our plate.  When my hubby and I went to my Endo for my 1st visit after my PT, he gave me a script for synthroid, then he went on to talk about the dosage amount, and if I should become pregnant, and about coming back to see him and about doing blood test again and on and on.   When we left his office, we were standing in front of the elevator and starting asking each other questions about what the doc said. I just have to laugh about it. I told my hubby I am going to carry around a tape recorder. In all seriousness though, I am new to the thyroid problems, so I am not 100% sure. I guess this was just a little comic relief. Hope I wasn't too insensitive.
the forgetfullness is a really big problem. Compound that with severe insomnia and I almost have to ask my family where my bedroom is.

I don't know what to do for it either. That is the sad part. I just want to use it for good though. Maybe to help me be more sensitive to those with Dementia or alzheimers. Although I might forget their name....ha ha ha.

You gotta laugh. Its either laugh or cry. I've already cried, so now I am trying laughter.
Thank you for your comments, now I feel a little better about things, although I couldn't remember what I wrote haha!  I have to concentrate on the very important things and that's my kids.  I cannot  forget when to pick them up or I'll be seriously worried.  It is almost like I hear and know what the person is saying and then it leaves my short term memory in the snap of a finger.  It is also important stuff, but then when I'm reminded of it then I remember.  I do agree though it does make me more sensitive to those with memory loss.

Thanks so much