Thyroid Disorders Community
I can't remember the answer!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I can't remember the answer!

What is the swollen tongue thing and the relation to thyroid?  Woke up looking like that recent picture on someone' profile, but I can't remember who had the profile, just the picture.  

What does a swollen tongue mean?  Did your's kind of hurt?
Hi. It is me with the swollen tongue.

Mine doesn't hurt ot bother me at all.

It can be a sign of hypoT (should go away though, under proper treatment), B12 deficiency, and amyloidosis (scarey disease I don't want to think about) and angioedema.

I am switching from Synthroid to Levoxyl this week to see if it is related to some ingredient. I guess I will know in a week or 2, once the Synthroid is out of my system.

I will update if that is the reason.

What is the timeline of your thryoid disease, treatment and swollen tongue?

One doctor told me it was anxiety!

LOL - anxiety hind parts!!!!  

I found neck swelling at the very end of March and got in to an endo April 3.  He did blood and ordered a US.  US showed heterogeneous goiter no suspicious areas, US report under my journal.  Bloodwork was normal.  TSH 1.040; FT4 1.45; TPOab <10.  Since then I have had some pretty horrible symptoms, extreme fatigue, gained 12 lbs since the 1st endo appointment and I don' t care what he says, I have not changed a thing (except I eat one of those small bag o chips a day cuz I crave salt) and my right side of the neck swells.  I get headaches muscle and joint aches and am very irratible.  Elevated temp on and off (last night back to that fever kind of thing, running 99.8 - which is just enough for me to feel really achey (achy)) and I wake up with swelling every morning, it goes down some by about 10 am. - noon, starts to return about 3-4 p.m. and I take 2 ibuprofen or advil pm before bed b/c of the swelling, then wake and do it all again.  I had a CT done 6/4 that showed shotty nodes, opacification (patchy) of the mastoid air cells, enlarged thyroid with right side predominance.  Now I woke up with this swelling tongue.  I does not seem as swollen now, but this a.m. you could see the teeth impressions on the sides. I have one spot on it that is kind of sore, like a taste bud irritation on the side.

I take 25 mcg levothyroxine.  My last blood level (TSH only b/c endo is a jerk) was 0.557.  No doubt from the levo, which is doing nothing for the swelling.  
I get the swollen tongue and mouth ulcers when i am heading HYPER lol
Dont know if that info is of any good to you or if its confused you even more..sorry if it has

Take care :)
How long after starting the levo did you notice the tongue?

I also get low grade fevers. Only about 99.2 ish, but I usually run 97.something, so I notice when it goes up by a degree or so. I feel a little "off" when I get the mild temp increase.

I have a heterogeneous thyroid with 2 small nodules, just under 1 cm so too small to biopsy. I had some discomfort with shirt collars and especially turtle necks until I was on Synthroid for a few months. Even the seatbelt bothered me.
I originally starting taking levo in April (2 weeks) then stopped it b/c I had numb tingles in my chin.  Found out is was really from the chanix I was taking when I stopped them both and resumed the levo in May.  I have been on it consistantly (I did miss a dose but just one) since May and just noticed the tongue this a.m. b/c I brush my tongue every morning and night and it hurt this am so I took a look.  Not noticably swollen now so maybe it was a fluke.
hi mommy2two,
when i first started on thyroxine i could only tolerate 12.5mcg/day then i went up to 18mcg/day and now im on more than 25mcg. i feel best at a tsh of 1.5. i tried taking no thyroxine and i felt really bad.