Thyroid Disorders Community
I'm so worried I put off my thyroid problems for years that it is ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I'm so worried I put off my thyroid problems for years that it is now cancer.

I noticed a lump on the right side of my neck 6 years ago, but I never thought anything of it until I noticed it was getting larger which was about 2 years ago, so I went to the doctors and I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I got an ultrasound and a nuclear thyroid uptake, and I was supposed to go for a biopsy but I never went. I started going again 3 months ago, again they scheduled me for a biopsy but I didn't have insurance and so they didn't really prioritize my referral. On Wednesday I woke up with another lump on the left side, which was painful and made it hard for me to swallow, talk and even breathe, considering I already had quite a large goiter on the right side, I went to the emergency room, all they did was blood work and an x-ray, they said my thyroid was high but the x-ray was fine, they suggested I see an endocrinologist and sent me on my way. I went to another doctor on Thursday who said I needed to see an endocrinologist and suggested I go to a county hospital emergency room. I went and they gave me an urgent care appointment where the doctor drew blood and told me he was gonna refer me to an endocrinologist, yet this can take up to a month. I do not think it is normal for my head, neck, and ears to be in such pain, nor do I think it is normal for me to feel such pain when I swallow, and feel as though my ears are constantly popping.

I honestly think I put this off for far too long and I have cancer, I am almost positive. I know hyperthyroidism isn't supposed to make your ears hurt. But I have seen that thyroid cancer does cause pain from the neck to the ears. I'm afraid it's gonna take far too long for them to resolve this issue. I am still in pain and the only thing they did at my urgent care was provide me pain meds, and a medication to stop my heart palpitations. Honestly I have a bad feeling that I do have cancer, and I don't mean to be pessimistic but it is just a feeling...
I'm scared. I'm only 23 years old.
Fist off, if you didn't have cancer to begin with, you don't have it now, either.  Putting off thyroid problems does not increase your odds of cancer.

It sounds like the lumps you have are nodules.  They are very common with thyroid disease.  If they get big, they can impinge on nerves and give you pain.

In addition a goiter (enlarged and inflamed thyroid) can cause your windpipe and esophagus to be constricted, causing breathing and swallowing difficulties.  It can also press on nerves and cause pain, voice changes, etc.

I assume they gave you a beta blocker for your heart palps...atenolol or propanolol or something else that ends in -olol.  You should take that as directed as it really does help the palps and will also calm you down a bit.

You need to get on anti-thyroid meds, and that will help shrink your goiter and nodules.  

It's unlikely cancer, but do have it thoroughly checked out this time...