Thyroid Disorders Community
Inderal?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Inderal?

Has anyone been prescribed Inderal for the symptoms of hyperthyroid?  RAI was negative; TSH low at 0.01; Sonogram shows Multinodular Goiter - largest at 0.75 cms.  Blood test again in July.  Should I be doing something else?
Yes, anti-thyroid medications and Inderal (beta blocker) can help normalization  of thyroid function. Inderal (propranolol)  controls symptoms of tiroxicose, hipertension, etc, consequences of HIPER   (like you are with TSH 0.01). And you doctor is doing what is correct, new analises on July. (free T4 and free T3 is very important too).
I was prescribed inderal for high blood pressure/hypertension caused by hyperthyroidism.  While the inderal definitely helped me cope with the extreme hyperthyroid symptoms, many of which were downstream effects of hypertension, it also prolonged real diagnosis and treatment for over a year, as most doctors (mine included) would rather treat only the surface-level symptoms and hope you go away.  Just make sure your doctor is actively pursuing the actual treatment of your hyperthyroidism and not just trying to placate your worst symptoms.  Don't let it go at the inderal, even if it makes you feel better - this is no cure.  You need to treat the actual hyperthyroidism.
estrelinha is correct.
Ensure your Doctor does blood tests for FT4, FT3 and TSH.
The treatment is usually Anti-thyroid meds (PTU, MMI or CBZ) and are usually monitored over 4 weekly periods with blood tests (labs).
When FT3, FT3 comes DOWN then the meds are titrated (lowered slowly) so that the TSH can attempt to come up to between 1 & 2 and get them into a comfortable range..
Inderal is prescribed for HypeR moments when the heart is racing but can also be addictive due to the 'calming effect'.
The Inderal is basically only a 'bandaid' to get you through the HypeR symptoms.
Ask for Labs to be done every 3-4 weeks and also for a Liver Function test (LFT) as meds can cause the liver enzymes to rise.
The more you learn about Hyperthyroidism, the more you can be in control of your thyroid and recognise symptoms a lot easier.
I suffer with Graves Disease and Hyperthyroidism and being HypeR is no fun at all.
Take Care

Thank you for your comments.  I really appreciate them.  This came on all of a sudden.  The endo did all of those blood tests:  T3 was slightly high; T4 is normal.  TSH is low.  I do not have hypertension or high blood pressure.  The only symptoms I had  were slight breathlessness when active (not resting), and being warmer than usual.  Endo did use those exact words - Inderal is a bandaid for the Hyper.  She describes a multinodular goiter (all are sub-centimeter), and characteristic of Hashi's Thyroiditis.  She essentially said my thyroid was burning itself out, so she ordered new blood tests in 4 weeks.  I have no weight loss (in fact, I weigh what I've weighed for years).  It's hard for me to exercise because I had a spinal fusion 12 years ago, and woke from surgery with nerve damage in my left.  I don't find the Inderal addictive.  I am supposed to take 10mg three times daily, but I only take it once or twice a day.  I am, however, annoyed at this endo's lack of an explanation of what the plan for the future is (thyroid medication or any actual treatment of the thyroid), and I'm nervous beyond belief.  I felt wonderful before this diagnosis, and I'm letting it ruin my spirit.  I am only married a year, and this has stopped me in my tracks.  I don't know what to do....
If only the T's were tested and not the FREE T's the test you had were absolutely useless in finding out what is going on.

Only "UNbound" T testing will help understand your situation.

I would view over your lastest lab work and check what T's they ran. and if the Free's were NOT done - demand better testing. A TPO with thyroidtitis would also be very helpful and should be done every two weeks if Hashi is suggested.
Hello, Stella!
Thank you for your comment.  I see you are very educated on this whole thyroid mess!  I am new to this, and trying to find out what is going on.

The free's were done, as well as a TPO.  This is what I have:

TSH, 3rd generation  0.01 Low
T4 Free  1.7 Normal (although I see the range is 0.8-1.8; is this high normal?)
T3 Free   462 High (scale says 230-420)
FSH, LH and Estradiol Normal (I have no idea what these are)
Thyroid Peroxidase AB (this is TPO, correct?)  <10 normal
Thyroglobulin  AB <20.0  Normal

Please shed any light you can!

Thank you!!!   Shari
FSH LH are menopause tests There are stages of these tests that show where you are if anywhere.

I am in the follicular stage which shows I am not in menopause yet - but my scale is very low for the follicular ranges so I am getting ready to be there soon.  yeah :(

Your ranges are pretty low with TSH so I am going to assume you are experiencing some hyper symptoms. (palps - headache maybe a light tremor - hair loss) this is a sgort list and it is what I had when hyper.  You are on the right path with treatment.

No antibodies with the TPO- good - but I do not see a TSI done. That would indicate Graves autoimmune in the hyper stages.

To be safe - I would recommend a TSI and a uptake scan on the thyroid. Just to BR sure no autoimmune is going on.

Thanks for the comment - it's sad to be a thyroid patient and have to know all this - but I am thankful I have taken this time to learn about me and how to make me well.
My antibodies tests were as follows when tested in October last year and diagnosed Graves Disease and Hyperthyroidism.
This will give you some idea to go on......

ANTI-THYROID PEROXIDASE 297 Range (under 35)
ANTI-THYROGLOBIN 43  Range (under 35)
TSI...420

An uptake scan and ultrasound confirmed Graves Disease.

Hope that helps :)
Forgot to add.....This is Hyperthyroidism (overactive)

FT4 27.1     (10.0-19.0)...
TSH <0.03  (0.50-4.00)...
FT3 12.8     (3.5-6.5)
WELCOME to the COMMUNITY!