Thyroid Disorders Community
Infant thyroid test

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Infant thyroid test

Does anyone know any information about the infant blood test they do for thyroid?

I have a friend that lost a baby at 6 weeks last year.  During her pregnancy she took a turn for the worse and had many hypo symptoms but blamed it on pregnancy and did not get tested.  She delivered with a midwife at home and I guess the heel ***** was not succesful so in this case it is not really realevent.  But I am getting to something else with this.  She still has many hypo symptoms but feels the blame is from loosing her child and being a busy mother.  So she has read about a study about sids being caused by low seritonin well seritonin is controlled by thyroid correct?  So I am wondering if infact the infants blood test should be revised as the adults has?  Has it ever been looked at I wonder?  There are so many infants deaths maybe this is why it's not sids it's thyroid!?!  I don't kno but I think it is definatly something that should be addressed and further looked into.

My son had/has many symptoms off the list I found http://pediatrics.about.com/od/symptoms/a/06_thyroid.htm and has tons of respitory infections at almost 7 he has had croup as they so call it twice in the last few months, strep a few times, some colds, horrible allergies, ect.  So I am wondering if he had a problem at birth but the tests were to insensitive to detect it?
Not what I was looking for but good information anyways

In conclusion, preterm infants born at <32 weeks’ gestation
have a high incidence of hypothyroidism. Repeated thyroid
function tests are necessary for preterm infants, even though
they may initially show normal thyroid function. The
high incidence of hypothyroidism in preterm infants may be
associated with excessive or insufficient iodine intake. Further
studies are needed to elucidate the causal relationship between
iodine balance and thyroid function in preterm infants.

if you are concerned ask your paediatrician to repeat the tests.

The infant tests are trying to detect babies with absent thyroid, in particular, but thyroid problems can also develop any time later.

Your friend should also have a thyroid panel to rule out thyroid problems for her.

Hope this helps.
My daughter was born without a thyroid gland in 2000! It was discovered at her 1 day new born screening. At 2 1/2 weeks the State notified her pediatrician. I had her at a pediatric endo. and on meds  (Synthroid) at 3 weeks of age. So in our case it was definitly and thankfully picked up by the heel stick test. Interestingly enough though, the TSH was elivated, but the T4 was normal, so the pediatrician wasn't in near the hurry as me to get her seen by a pediatric endo. (He wanted me to see his net work of doctors (Cooks), who couldn't get her in for several months) I took things into my own hands and found someone to see her in a few days as I didn't need his stinking referal-and it's a good thing I did. Can you believe that the SOB sent us a certified letter shortly after telling us he would no longer treat our family (I have two older children and he'd been their doctor for 7 years) just because I did not stay in his network and took things into my own hands! I  should of sued his _ _ _! I still see him around town, and I just glare at him when I do! He was very wrong in every way! ------As far as your theory goes, you could be on to something as my daughte'rs labs were definitly confusing as to if there was a real problem or not! I was also nursing and they do get some hormone via mom this way as well as gestationally. Since 6 weeks would probably be about the time frame that the baby would be more dependent on their own ability to provide enough hormone, then the timing would be about right. I also know that when I quit nursing at 1 year, my daughter's medication had to be upped several times! So you cannot convince me that breast milk does not have moms thyroid hormone in it! After this happened, the doctor decided to do additional testing (ultrasound and technition scan) It was then that we discovered that she had no gland at all instead of just a gland that was not working well as she had thought! Like you, I also have a friend who lost her baby to SIDS at 7 weeks, and she still has MANY questions as to WHY?????
Thank you for sharing your story I am going to do what I can to see if this has anything to it.  I think it's about time somebody somewhere figured out what is happening to these infants.  
I will never understand our medical world so many people suffering from this disease and are treated for so many other things besides thyroid or not at all.  And so many of those treatments come with so many side effects and risks.  Seems so easy to help so many people
I had my 4 year old tested for TSH and antibodies last year. He eats and eats and never gains weight and has a lot of aniexty. They came back ok, but wondering if there are any other tests they can do too. My mom, dad and both grandmas are hypothyroid.
http://www.thestarphoenix.com/health/SIDS+serotonin/2513976/story.html?tab=VID

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=112938

the production of serotonin itself is subject to thyroid sufficiency
In conclusion, there is robust evidence, particularly from animal studies, that the thyroid economy has a modulating impact on the brain serotonin system
Maybe it is because thyroid medication is so cheep! "They" can make much more money keeping us sick by checking everything else and prescribing us many other, more expensive drugs that cause even more problems, making us all the sicker! It's a slippery slope, that medical/drug industry seem to want us all sliding down. After all, sick people is how they make their living!

This comment did jump out at me in your attachment. Babies who are congenital hypothyroid are not easy to arrose! They rarely cry and sleep alot. They are often described as  "good babies" because of this!
"Serotonin is important for arousal," he says. "If serotonin production is diminished in patients at risk for SIDS, that all makes sense.

"I think the message is there is something inherently wrong in some of these babies
Okay- now I watched the video that you attached-----So the big question is what is the cause of the low serotonin levels in these infants? We all know that low thyroid hormone effects serotonin and the brain....I can sure see a possible connection here!