Aa
A
A
Close
1156486_tn?1262398403
Iodine free diet
I will start a Iodine free diet next week in preparation for my Iodine131 treatment (for Jan. 21st) and would like to find the thyca cookbook. I did not see it on the thyca wedsite.  I want to make sure that I do everything possible to insure good results from the treatment so I would appreciate finding recipes.  Thank you.
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
On the ThyCa website (thyca.org) look on the upper-left side of the page.  Under the heading "Support Services" is the link "Low Iodine Cookbook".  Try to get some recipes in the freezer before you go totally medication-free - you'll be pretty tired that last week.  Drink lots of water after your I131, suck on sour candy or lemons to flush your salivary glands to prevent damage (permanent dry-mouth is no fun, believe me).  Make sure you know when to re-start meds after treatment, and if you're going to have a large dose, ask for some anti-nausea medication to have with you after you swallow your I131.  My endo wouldn't give it to me because he didn't believe people really had nasuea after swallowing RADIATION - said it was in their heads.  My gp wrote me a prescription, and I used it ; I became sick 4 hours after I took the pill, and it last about 8 hours more.  Good luck with all of this, and hang in there.  You're more than halfway there :-)
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
1156486_tn?1262398403
THANK YOU for the information.  I was able to find the cookbook and that made me feel a LOT better  about the "diet" thing. I also finally realized that it's a LOW idodine not a NO idodine diet.  Yesterday (Monday) was my grocery shopping day and today (Tuesday) is going to be my "cooking and freezing" day because Wednesday will be the day I go off my meds.  I have received wonderful advice on this site and I am very thankful for people taking the time to write to me.  You are not the first one that has warned about the nausea, so I will look into that today.  Thank you for your encouragment.  I pray you will be blessed for helping me.
Comment
Cancel
1156486_tn?1262398403
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
1156486_tn?1262398403
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Iodine free diet
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources