Thyroid Disorders Community
Iodine free diet

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Iodine free diet

I will start a Iodine free diet next week in preparation for my Iodine131 treatment (for Jan. 21st) and would like to find the thyca cookbook. I did not see it on the thyca wedsite.  I want to make sure that I do everything possible to insure good results from the treatment so I would appreciate finding recipes.  Thank you.
On the ThyCa website (thyca.org) look on the upper-left side of the page.  Under the heading "Support Services" is the link "Low Iodine Cookbook".  Try to get some recipes in the freezer before you go totally medication-free - you'll be pretty tired that last week.  Drink lots of water after your I131, suck on sour candy or lemons to flush your salivary glands to prevent damage (permanent dry-mouth is no fun, believe me).  Make sure you know when to re-start meds after treatment, and if you're going to have a large dose, ask for some anti-nausea medication to have with you after you swallow your I131.  My endo wouldn't give it to me because he didn't believe people really had nasuea after swallowing RADIATION - said it was in their heads.  My gp wrote me a prescription, and I used it ; I became sick 4 hours after I took the pill, and it last about 8 hours more.  Good luck with all of this, and hang in there.  You're more than halfway there :-)
THANK YOU for the information.  I was able to find the cookbook and that made me feel a LOT better  about the "diet" thing. I also finally realized that it's a LOW idodine not a NO idodine diet.  Yesterday (Monday) was my grocery shopping day and today (Tuesday) is going to be my "cooking and freezing" day because Wednesday will be the day I go off my meds.  I have received wonderful advice on this site and I am very thankful for people taking the time to write to me.  You are not the first one that has warned about the nausea, so I will look into that today.  Thank you for your encouragment.  I pray you will be blessed for helping me.