Thyroid Disorders Community
Iodine information

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Iodine information

Alot of questions have been appearing on the board asking about iodine and thyroid. I ran across this and found it generally well written and easy to read.

It covers the general ideas of iodine and its thyroid health benefits. The last update of information on this article is from 2003.

I find it interesting that the Oregon University wrote the article which is a big mining area and land abundant with iodine in their soil because of the Pacific Ocean and having coast land.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/minerals/iodine/

I plan on developing an iodine page here on our Health Pages. Iodine is a resourceful thing for human life whether thyroid or others cells. If you have any research on iodine and can share them for this Health Page - please copy your link below.

Stella, I read that article with great interest.  I'm sort of looking at things a bit differently.  The connection between iodine and selenium is interesting; as is the connection between iodine and fibrocystic breast condition, which I've had for years.  

I bookmarked it for further reference and may even take it to my doctor, especially the part that centered on the TSH issue.  
yes- it is really - only basic information Barb - but I found it covered alot of valid points and at a cell level / w thyroid components that in other articles - they go into alot more detail with clinical and medical terms discusing only certain parts each time.

It was good reading and thought I would share it with the group.
Hi Stella, Your link is very comprehensive and informative, probably the most all in one comprehensive page on Iodine that I have seen.

I recently read the book “Iodine Why you need it, why you can’t live without it”  by Dr. David Brownstein  https://www.drbrownstein.com/homePage.php   This doctor has done a lot of research in his own practice for many years and written many books about thyroid and related disease.

Also see http://iodine4health.com/disease/thyroidisease/autoimmune/brownstein_autoimmune.htm
Links to Dr. Brownstein Videos about Iodine http://vitamincfoundation.org/videos/#BROWNSTEIN

I think is a great source of information because is has many links to videos form “experts”  and statistical data.  It is kind of confusing because there are many links that jump off to other places but if you follow the links that apply to you there is a lot of good data. http://www.iodine4health.com/disease/thyroidisease/thyroid_disease.htm
Nutritional sources of Iodine http://xxx.xxxxxxxxx.xxx.xxx
Another Dr. that has done a lot of research on Iodine and disease is Dr. Joge Flechas
This podcast audio can be played on the PC and is very informative.  Dr. Jorge Flechas On Iodine Therapy For Thyroid, Fibromyalgia And More! (Episode 283)

http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shownotes/816/dr-jorge-flechas-on-iodine-therapy-for-thyroid-fibromyalgia-and-more-episode-283/

I want to mention here, that Iodine for people with Hyperthyroidism or related disorders is not a good thing.  I have Toxic nodules and did a lot of research on Iodine, and I manage my food carefully so that I don’t ingest too much, but every cell of your body has Iodine in it, so your body needs some, so I eat balanced meals with many complimentary micronutrients.  I eat less Goitrogenic foods and eat NO soy if I can help it.

On the other side of the coin, I know that some people with Hypothyroidism take kelp pills or other forms of increasing their Iodine and that has helped them. Of course everyone’s body is different so before anyone does anything with Iodine they need to do the research.

I Hope the links are useful,

McMillan
An interesting article.  I am waiting for an appointment with a surgeon as my GP recently found a breast lump.  I already had a benign lump removed about 7 years ago.  Had thyroid cancer 3 years ago, and a miscarriage 26 years ago.  It makes me wonder if there is a connection between all these things.
McMillian - that is not entirely solid evidence. Its questionable yes - but not concrete. There are too many elements that are involved - with Graves hyperthyroidism as well as HAshimoto.

I cannot debunk iodine as a wrongful thing quite yet on those conditions.

The book you are reading is pretty popular on the discussion with iodine and known about quite well - both book and the doctor that wrote it.

The doctor I spoke to last week has a medical relationship with that actual Doctor/author that wrote that book.

Interesting article about breast cysts and iodine therapy:
http://thyroid.about.com/library/derry/bl1a.htm

I have breast cysts. My grandma had thyroid disease and died from breast cancer.

I went to Amazon and bought the Lugol's Iodine drops for $11. I belong to a Facebook group called "iodine". The members have told me to start with one drop in water or OJ every day and then gradually move up to 15 drops in two months.

Warning, just this little bit of iodine and I feel some hyper symptoms. That is why you must start SLOWLY.

:) Tamra
Good point on that Tamra and in the article is does say some - about Hashi antibodies and the bad reaction to iodine supplementation.

I have a friend who says the iodine makes her goiter swell worse. I just started the iodine in small amounts. I will keep everyone posted.

As far as the breast cysts are concerned, I did not develop them until I started the pill for my heavy periods. My gyn even tried lowering my pills to the lowest amount of hormones. Now that my FT3/FT4 levels are in the top 1/3, I am going to finish out my pill box and quit. These cysts are really awful.  

:) Tamra
Just got back from the endo. He does NOT want me to take iodine. He started quoting a study. I guess my brain fog kicked in and I don't remember the study.

Anyway, big bummer, because of these nodules in my breasts, but he says iodine is bad for Hashi. My decision is to get off the birth control pill, and if the cysts go away, then I guess I don't need the iodine. If they don't go away, then I will have to do my own research on iodine and thyroid and determine what's worse: iodine making the thyroid swell more or precancerous nodules in the breasts. My grandma died of breast cancer.

:) Tamra
I don't know one endo that supports iodine Tamra... and I have tried to talk it over with dozens

I think I know the study information - there's many out there and I just can't buy it as gold information either.

Like I said - its very hard to discuss with many doctor. More so than thyroid too.  I do believe w/ Hashi antibodies it can be bad for some.. but I can't believe it should be taboo for all ya know? It doesn't work that way. Especially you with breast cysts.. Yeah get off the BC for sure - it would be best to get off that ASAP for sure.

Take care.
If you're done w/ having children, you might look into having "uterine ablasion" to get off the pill and control periods. I had it done last year and now my periods last all of 1or 2 days and are very very light. Has also helped w/PMS. I had it done in my doctors office (non invasive procedure) and took all of 10 minutes. I was put into twilight sleep. Took two days taking it easy at home, and the rest is history. Best decision I ever made!
Wow! A uterine ablasion? Why hasn't my gyn told me about this? I am going to request one for sure! I am done having children, unfortunately. I wanted more, but hubby got the snip after my difficult pregnancy and premature delivery.

Doctors never tested my thyroid back then. I wish they had!

Thanks!
:) Tamra
I think you're right. My endo is wonderful and smart. He really knows a lot about Hashi and he is one of the very few endos in my town who prescribes Armour or Synthroid/ Cytomel.

However, not all doctors know everything. He did cite some studies and he also talked about kelp being really bad.

I will get off the pill and if these breast nodules don't calm down, I'm back on the iodine.

One thing, though, my thyroid didn't swell as much today as the past few days when I was on the iodine. It may have been a coincidence.

:) Tamra
My husband also had a little snip snip after our third and only little girl was born.! So it was rediculous that I was still on the pill (horrible headaches on it), just to control periods. I could not see being on the pill for another 10 years, however I had no female problems so I didn't need a hysterectomy. I had two other friends who had the ablasion done and said it almost eliminated "aunt flow". I talked to my Gyn. and he said since my husband had had a vasectomy that I was a good candidate. It was relly no big deal, and now my periods are NO BIG DEAL!  
That's it! I'm calling my GYN tomorrow!
:) Tamra
You won't regret it!!!
that pill is bad Tamra - its part of all those issues you are in.
The GYN put me on it for heavy periods. I thought the thyroid hormone pills would help ease the flow, but I was still clotting. I don't clot now, but my breasts are so sore, I can hardly touch them.

I am calling the GYN today to discuss uterine ablasian.

:( Tamra