Thyroid Disorders Community
Iodine patch test on skin- is it all fluff?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Always wondered about this. A year ago a chiropracter / holistic doctor gave me an Iodine 'painted on' patch test. My body absorbed all of the brown iodine that was 'painted' on my skin in a 5 cm x 5cm square - in about 10 hours! The chiro said this was way to fast so I must be Iodine deficient. My medical thyroid labs were in range at that time, but, like always, I still had hypo symptoms. I took iodine kelp for a week and stopped, medical Dr. said taking iodine is a NO NO!

What is the deal with that iodine patch test and some people taking iodine if it can cause problems? I have never read about this here.
There is major conflicting information on taking iodine or not to take iodine for thyroid problems.

One thing for sure - taking Iodine in for form of potassium iodide - the thyroid will take up approx 85% of it.

Whether that is beneficial to one person or another is an agrument that has been around for decades.

I suggest you go the the Complementary Medicine forum and pull up the iodine post there. Laura1967 started the thread and there are about 100 comments to read through.

It's got some very interesting information on it and it seems many over there are first hand with using iodine in their supplementation.
Funny you say that Stella but I have avoided Iodine for a few years now because I was Hyper then when I went hypo after RAI, the first thing I ate was Tuna and my aches would subside.
Now if I feel hypo, I have a tuna sandwich and feel better but am still careful of iodine in foods due to me being very drug sensitive where the thyroxin can make me hyper so quick if I take too much.
But tuna does the trick for me if I am hypo and its all natural too :)
Yeah Deb

One thing I had in my history after RAI was - in the beginning - When I ate ANY shellfish or tuna I felt very hot and "weird"

that lasted for about 2 years.

I speculate that after all "died" off. and the RAI was "out" entirely - THEN the opposite started happening to me. When I ate shellfish or tuna - NOW I felt better with the more I ate!!

I did however start on Ioderol 3 mths ago b/c I felt so much better with eating iodine shellfish or tuna.

I am glad I started b/c it is really a wonderful thing for me.
Intersesting. The last 20 years with hypo symptyms, I have had a salt craving. I am addicted to table salt and salty foods! With my new Armour, I felt I went hypo the fourth week in, and now that I think of it, my salt craving seemed to diminish. In my case, there might be a connection?  I didnt get a lab (and ultra scan!) till after I decreased my Armour myself, thyroid went nuts. I could not wait, so now the lab will be a little inaccurate. Will read the iodine thread. Thanks!
I lean more towards the salt issues being related to your adrenals more than issues with Armour.
I am allegic now to shellfish Stella :(
I used to love prawns.