Thyroid Disorders Community
Is Low Thyroid related to asthma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Is Low Thyroid related to asthma

My wife has asthma and is on Advair.

In the last year she has had her thyroid dosage upped three times.  ANd when she went to the alergist Dr. for her check up, he said that her lung function improved to the point that he cut her dosage of Advair in half.

I recently read that being medicated for low thyroid helped another person here with "respiratory issues"

Which got me to wondering if the increased dosage of the Thyroid med to better or more precisely treat her hypothyroidism may have also helped her respiratory issue.

I believe she needs another upping of thyroid as she is again becoming more tired for no real reason.  And if this would further help her asthma it would be like a huge blessing.
No comments of any association of respiratory issues and low Thyroid?
I also have suffered from respiratory issues....get bronchitis at the drop of a hat. I read two scientific papers recently published in foreign medical journals that, based on clinical trial, got a direct corollary between improvements in lung function in hypothyroid patients who were properly treated with thyroid medication. Found them by Googling, asking the question "what is the relationship between lung disfunction and hypothyroidism" or something like that. Printed them out and took to my PCP, who is trying to help me get my Frees into upper range and is always having to treat me for lunger problems. Don't know the URLS, but here are the names of the papers:

"Assessment In Lung Disfunction with Spirometry In Patients With Thyroid Disorders"
There's a file http:www.scopemed.org/fulltextpdf.php?mno=6644, but I printed it out as html

"Airway response to inhaled salbutamol in hyperthyroid and hypothyroid patients before and after treatment" by RN Harrison, AE Tattersfield,  University ofSouthampton Faculty of Medicine, Southampton General Hospital, Southampton, published in Thorax1984:34-39

I found both quite interesting, since I am constantly sick, test for no known allergies, pass all pulmonary lung function tests, and x-rays are clear but am coughing productively all the time, sometimes with wheezing. I improved on medication, but still have hypo symptoms, w/ Frees below optimal range. I didn't start feeling better until I added T3.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,

I'll have to try to find those articles and do the google search.