Is TSH of 3.6 normal?
Hi, I've been feeling tired and low for a couple of months now along with 1 stone weight gain for no apparent reason and my hair is breaking. I have had my TSH levels done and the result is 3.6. I have been tested in the past 3 times and my TSH level have always been 1.9 before. The lab that tested my bloods shows normal range between 0.5-5.0. I do know people with an hypothyroidism and they are maintained at 1.6 ish?? I go to see my doctor on monday about results, not sure what he will do considering my previous results as this is high for me. should i ask for t3 and t4 tests?

This discussion is related to What are normal T4,T3 and TSH levels.
The new lab ranges  for TSH are:  .30-3.0. Yes you should also have a Free T4 adn Free T3 tests done so you can get a complete look. Make sure they are frees and not outdated total tests.
I just had a TSH Level of 3.67 at 4 o'clock in the after noon. Thanks all they checked. And everyone is telling me it is normal... I can't even function for being drained and tired. I was on medicine for 6 years. quit taking it because of money issues for 3 years. I just went back so I could start taking medicine again. I got an appointment next week to retest with T3, T4 and TSH. If they tell me it's normal as well I don't know what I can do.
Also ask for thyroid antibodies (TPO and anti-Tg).
I think 3.6 is too high for me, mine is .91 as of right now and thats where I prefer it to be. I think anything aboe 3.0 is just a little too high. Might want to discuss it further with an endorinologist.
Ask your doctor if he/she can get your TSH level to a 1.0, tell them that is where you feel better. Tell them it could not hurt to try a low dosage of medication to see if your symtoms improve after six weeks.

It would not hurt to ask.
Even though a lot of the ranges do still say 0.5 to 4.5 or thereabouts. When my TSH has been 3.8 and 4.6 I've felt awful. But a lot of the docs still use the original references. You need to push to get something done and be heard.
On my lastest labs, my tsh finally came down to 2.933 and I still feel awful.   I haven't made it to 1.0 yet and I have been on meds for a year.  My synthroid was increased to 112.  

I really think that most endo's go by the old books.  the ones they read while still in college.  they need to get with the times and go by how we the patient feels.
Thank you all for your advice, I know that I don't feel right but hate going in to the doctor telling him that he should do more. I'm in the UK and our ranges are still the old ones, not sure why?
I just got my results back and my tsh is 4.6 and i feel lousy and unable to function, is this normal or should i push for treatment???

please help :o(
Hi,I need help. I weigh 274lb I go to the gym every day.my hair is falling out,my skin is dry,I feel so bad,I hurt all over,have trouble sleeping.my tsh is 3.60 and my doctor will not help me. I have bad mood swing and I'm tired of living like this.
I've just recently learned that in Name Brand verses Generic, when thyroid medication is the issue, it is ALLWAYS better to take Name Brand. Wish I had learned that 18 months ago when I started taking the generic. Now after taking the name brand of thyroid meds for 3 weeks there has been a change in my thyroid from 1.79 to .91 ..... 1.79 being on the generic and the .91 being on the name brand. When you're talking about thyroid levels, that's huge to me. I started feeling better within just a couple of days. At first I was skeptical but now I know It is a definitive difference.
I hope you went to an endo!! I've never had luck with my regular doc's...they just dont understand..good luck
I know this thread is old, but I was just talking to my mom today since she's been on Synthroid for a few years and I was just told my TSH is at a 3.79 and I'm being put on a low dose to try and bring it down (I don't know my other numbers, I just got her voicemail with that part of my results, we're still waiting for some other labs.) Anyhow, she said that her doctor told her a lot of docs will keep raising the dose if there is no improvement but that the lack of improvement could be from improperly taking the medication, i.e. not waiting the 30-60 minutes after taking it in the morning before eating or drinking anything, or not waiting the required four hours to take any other vitamins or supplements.
Make sure they order FREE T3 and FREE T4.  If FREE isn't specified in these test names, they will test total T3 and total T4, which are not nearly as good.

AACE recommended years ago that TSH range be changed to 0.3-3.0.  That new range makes you hypo.