Is a biopsy very painful?
Hi, Can anyone tell me about their biopsy ... how it was.  Do I need to be really worried to get one?? Thanks!!
Of course it hurts. They give you local anesthesia which of course is with a needle. Then they stick another needle thing inside your neck.

Just stay as still and calm as you possibly can. The procedure only takes a couple of minutes.

You will have some pain for the rest of the day.

Sorry, but I hope you wanted honesty regarding your question.  Can't stand for people to sugar-coat things.

Linda
I did not have that experience.  Mine only lasted seconds.  The needle going in did not hurt and both biopsies were just slightly painful.  I had no pain the rest of the day.  Unfortunately, it is something that you must do.  Good luck and I hope your biopsies will be as painless as mine.
Thank you. I guess it's probably different for each person.  I'm just a big a scaredycat (sp?)!   Not sure if I will need it yet but there is talk about it if the nodule does not go down within a few months or w/medication.  
hi shherry,

my FNA just stung a bit when the needle went in, it wasn't unbearably painfull for me :) although it did ache afterwards, overall not too bad :)
It depends on where the nodule is located .. how deep in the thyroid or surrounding area.  

Mine was less painful than a root canal needle but everybody is different.  I equated my experience similar to amnioscentisis when  was pregnant.  They didn't use a local for me and I was lucky with one draw they had enough cells, etc.

I took Tylenol for a day afterwards; what hurt more was during followup visit with the Dr. when they pressed on that area .. then it hurt aftewards like a muscle ache for days.
C~
Mine was uncomfortable but not overly painful... I had 3 of them!  I must admit though it did feel very odd...It did ache afterward...take some pain relief with you and take it immediately after the whole biopsy. I forgot to do that even after 3 times! You might get a bruise too. I did.
  Good luck!