Thyroid Disorders Community
Is a biopsy very painful?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Is a biopsy very painful?

Hi, Can anyone tell me about their biopsy ... how it was.  Do I need to be really worried to get one?? Thanks!!
Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
561964_tn?1283802216
Of course it hurts. They give you local anesthesia which of course is with a needle. Then they stick another needle thing inside your neck.

Just stay as still and calm as you possibly can. The procedure only takes a couple of minutes.

You will have some pain for the rest of the day.

Sorry, but I hope you wanted honesty regarding your question.  Can't stand for people to sugar-coat things.

Linda
Blank
571680_tn?1219587614
I did not have that experience.  Mine only lasted seconds.  The needle going in did not hurt and both biopsies were just slightly painful.  I had no pain the rest of the day.  Unfortunately, it is something that you must do.  Good luck and I hope your biopsies will be as painless as mine.
Blank
Thank you. I guess it's probably different for each person.  I'm just a big a scaredycat (sp?)!   Not sure if I will need it yet but there is talk about it if the nodule does not go down within a few months or w/medication.  
Blank
454046_tn?1244569193
hi shherry,

my FNA just stung a bit when the needle went in, it wasn't unbearably painfull for me :) although it did ache afterwards, overall not too bad :)
Blank
168348_tn?1379360675
It depends on where the nodule is located .. how deep in the thyroid or surrounding area.  

Mine was less painful than a root canal needle but everybody is different.  I equated my experience similar to amnioscentisis when  was pregnant.  They didn't use a local for me and I was lucky with one draw they had enough cells, etc.

I took Tylenol for a day afterwards; what hurt more was during followup visit with the Dr. when they pressed on that area .. then it hurt aftewards like a muscle ache for days.
C~
Blank
219241_tn?1357815389
Mine was uncomfortable but not overly painful... I had 3 of them!  I must admit though it did feel very odd...It did ache afterward...take some pain relief with you and take it immediately after the whole biopsy. I forgot to do that even after 3 times! You might get a bruise too. I did.
  Good luck!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank