Thyroid Disorders Community
Is a biopsy very painful?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Is a biopsy very painful?

Hi, Can anyone tell me about their biopsy ... how it was.  Do I need to be really worried to get one?? Thanks!!
Of course it hurts. They give you local anesthesia which of course is with a needle. Then they stick another needle thing inside your neck.

Just stay as still and calm as you possibly can. The procedure only takes a couple of minutes.

You will have some pain for the rest of the day.

Sorry, but I hope you wanted honesty regarding your question.  Can't stand for people to sugar-coat things.

Linda
I did not have that experience.  Mine only lasted seconds.  The needle going in did not hurt and both biopsies were just slightly painful.  I had no pain the rest of the day.  Unfortunately, it is something that you must do.  Good luck and I hope your biopsies will be as painless as mine.
Thank you. I guess it's probably different for each person.  I'm just a big a scaredycat (sp?)!   Not sure if I will need it yet but there is talk about it if the nodule does not go down within a few months or w/medication.  
hi shherry,

my FNA just stung a bit when the needle went in, it wasn't unbearably painfull for me :) although it did ache afterwards, overall not too bad :)
It depends on where the nodule is located .. how deep in the thyroid or surrounding area.  

Mine was less painful than a root canal needle but everybody is different.  I equated my experience similar to amnioscentisis when  was pregnant.  They didn't use a local for me and I was lucky with one draw they had enough cells, etc.

I took Tylenol for a day afterwards; what hurt more was during followup visit with the Dr. when they pressed on that area .. then it hurt aftewards like a muscle ache for days.
C~
Mine was uncomfortable but not overly painful... I had 3 of them!  I must admit though it did feel very odd...It did ache afterward...take some pain relief with you and take it immediately after the whole biopsy. I forgot to do that even after 3 times! You might get a bruise too. I did.
  Good luck!