Thyroid Disorders Community
Is blood cortisol test accurate

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Is blood cortisol test accurate

I had my blood cortisol tested at 2pm yesturday.  My level is 9.3.  I am doing 24 hour urine cortisol test now, and the hostpital does not do 24 hour cortisol saliva test.  

I have severe adreanal fatigue.

I read a book last night called Adrenal fatigue - 21st century, filled out the questionnaire, and scored severe adrenal fatigue, and the Dr. that wrote the book said, 24 hour urine cortisol only test for Addison's disease, not Adrenal fatigue, and only 4% of the population has Addison's.  

This is so frustrating !!!!!!!  Now I am convinced Klonopin, has done permanent damage to my body system.  Every blood/urine test the past 2 years returns normal.  All my trouble began after I stopped taking Klonopin.  

So is 24 hour saliva test the most accurate, for testing Adrenal fatigue ??  Is there a home kit, I can perform the test myself, any information pertaining to adrenal fatigue appreciated.    

If uncomfortable posting answer here, please email.  
You say "I have severe adrenal fatigue".  Has this been diagnosed by a doctor?  

I've heard that the 24 hr saliva test is the best, but I could be wrong.  Maybe someone else will chime in soon and answer.  
The blood work is a good indicator of finding out the major problems with the adrenals like Addison's and Cushings - the 24 hr urine is better in detecting other issues - but the saliva testing is very precise.

Did you visit our adrenal fatigue forum? enzymelover is very verse on alot of things that are connected with the adrenals and pitutiary issues.

Check her out over there too! I know you want answers - we will try as best as we can here to give you ideas to go to your doctor with