Is coconut milk L.I.D?
Ok, I am going crazy on LID for a milk substiute.  Nutty milk in LId cookbook was too chunky to qualify as milk.  what about coconut milk?  It seems like it is LID ok, but I'm not sure.
Coconut milk is fine.  I've been using Hemp Milk (yep, that's right, Hemp Milk) as an alternative because it is dairy, soy and salt free.  I couldn't believe that the rice milks all had salt in them!  That annoyed me to no end!  Anyway, I got Hemp Milk at Whole Foods.  It's made by Living Harvest.

Best of luck- I'm off LID after the weekend, hopefully my nausea will be gone by then :)
Yes, coconut milk is fine. That is what I've been using.  All rice and nut milks at the store had salt - it was so upsetting!  I would have gladly sold my soul for a Whole Foods to try some of Shannon's hemp milk!    
Good luck with LID, and if you need to vent about it - I am so here for you.  I get to stop it on Sunday, and I pray to God I'm well enough to enjoy real food again!  
thanks so much to both of you!  I am going to look for hemp milk today, and if I can't find, buy lots of coconut milk.

I have been reading your RAI threads too and they are sooo helpful.  I hope you are both less nauseus today!
Glad to help!  The coconut milk texture can be funny - sometimes it is chunky when you open the can. I took off some of the chunks (mostly fat stuff, I think), and it was better that way.  I only used it in my coffee a little bit - I never tried it in cereal or anything. I wish you luck finding the hemp milk!!!!!  
http://www.globalhempstore.com/hemp-food/living-harvest-vanilla-hemp-milk-32.html

Here is a link where you can buy it online...my mom ordered this for me and the hemp protein powder.  Yummy Yummy :)
Another link:

http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/ExecMacro/livingharvest/home.d2w/report
Oh man, where was that link 2 weeks ago??  =)  I will save it, but here's hoping I never have to to LID/RAI ever again!!!!!
LOL, I didn't even know you could buy it online until my mom sent me a ton of hemp milk and hemp protein powder in the mail last week!  I don't know how long she thinks I'm going to be on this diet, but I'll save it for my follow-up scan in 6 months.  The nuclear med tech at the hospital told me that they usually ask you to do LID for scans.  BOOOOOO!!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!  I don't want to hear that!! No more LID!!  Ugh....that is bad news indeed. Is it for 2 weeks, too???  I'll be ordering that hemp milk for sure then!!!  My nuclear med doc told me I wouldn't need my next scan (after the follow up this week) for a year.  
I found the hemp milk at the whole foods by me, and I also found some dairy free chocolate bars!  sucesss!!
Kel:  Well, I'm not sure when I have a follow-up scan, but the tech said they like you to follow the diet for a week beforehand.  Blah.  At least it's not two weeks, I guess :(  Also, our docs seem to do things differently in general, so you may not have to or maybe only for a few days before hand.  Diagnostic is worlds different than therapeutic.  Namely- no nausea!!!

thyroidbride:  It's so funny how everything you find that is LID compatible you want to do a little happy dance in the store!  All the Health Valley "No salt added" products made me so happy, they even had chicken broth!  I had their minestrone today with some kosher salt- yummy, yummy!
sorry for sounding so dumb, but what does LID stand for?
thanks
LID = Low Iodine Diet

Doctors put you on a low iodine diet to prepare your body for RAI (radioactive iodine) treatment to ablate your thyroid/treat thyroid cancer.  
Shannon: it amazes me how differently our doctors do things - I wonder why that is! For goodness sake, we're not that far apart...it's so odd.  I hope the pre-scan LID isn't as long as the pre-RAI one.  I pray every day this is the only time we'll ever have to have RAI.  No nausea sounds GREAT to me!!!  

Thyroidbride:  Non-dairy chocolate bars - oh man, you are doing great on the LID so far!! I think having a Whole Foods really helps - they seem to have a lot of things that fit the bill. I know every time I found something, like Shannon said, I was practically jumping up and down in the aisles at the store!! And thank goodness for the LID cookbook - thyca rocks so much for that!!!
The coconut milk in the dairy/milk section does have carrageenan in it. But if you go to the Asian section, they sell cans of coconut milk that does not have carrageenan in it and is really good! I have been using that in my coffee and also adding a little bit to my smoothies to give it a more creamy taste.
Can someone please help! I was diagnosed with Graves' disease and I really need to get an idea of what I can do about the fact I can't have milk anymore. Is coconut milk a good replacement. I was told by the doctor that I can have it if, the iodide content was 30 mg or less. Does anyone know if it is?
I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer 2 and 1/2 years ago and am about to start my 3rd round of LID! Have had 2 I131 radiation pills. Joy! Joy!  My doc says, yes you have to be iodine free in order to get appropriate scan reading. What fun! :/ Glad to hear about coconut milk. May try it.
five3missy:

I'm about to go and have my first RAI in 2 weeks. I'm curious why you had to have a 2nd treatment...did you regrow thryoid cells?

Thanks for the info...
Ann
It is very uncommon however, my grandmothers thyroid grew back three times. The first two times she had surgery they were benign. On her 69th year it grew back and this time it was malignant. If you can get a hold of the OHSU medical book her case is in there.
I have had thyroid removal and am going in for my 5th scan Friday.  
I have become very adept at the LID diet.  My best discovery early on was the free cookbook online at      THYCA.Org.  It has recipes for everything including mayonnaise, ketchup, spaghetti, & brownies.  84 pages!  
It takes extra work but my husband likes the food so I don't have to cook separate meals.