Thyroid Disorders Community
Is it Hashimoto's? More in depth blood results, plz advise?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Just had latest blood back, Gp is next to useless but have discussed with a few people and done my research and think I have Hashimoto's disease. Does anyone think the same?? Finally started my vit B12 injections and been given folate and vit d pills too but other than that nothing, just taken of leothyronine and put back on levothyroxine 200mcg. All symtoms (symptoms) persist feel like I am dying, Gp offers little understanding and when I mentioned Hashi's she seemed to think it was a hyerthyroid condition so I got laughed out the surgery and with my brain fog I just forgot what I had learned so could not tell her what I know.

ANY advice welcome plz people am getting desperate now. :)

BLOODS.....

SERUM TSH LEVEL - HI, 10.9mu/L

SERUM FSH LEVEL   7.8iu/L

SERUM LH LEVEL     4.6iu/L

SERUM FREE T4 LEVEL  LOW,  8.1  (range 9-24)

SERUM PARATHYROID HORMONE 5.1pmol/L (range 1.5 - 7.6)

ANTI TISSUE TRANSGLUTAMINASE LEVEL - NEGATIVE

THYROIS PEROXIDASE ANTIBODY LEVEL- HI, 364iu/mL (range 0-100)

SERUM CORTISOL - 211nmol/L (range 9am 140 - 690nmolL midnight 140nmol/L

PLASMA VITAMIN B12, LOW - 172ng/L (range 200-900)

SERUM FOLATE, LOW - 1.8ug/L (range 4-26)

VITAMIN D, LOW - 9nmol/L (range 75-200)

ESR, HI, 53 mm/h (range 0-10)

WBC, HI, 13.44 (range 4-11)

SERUM FERRITIN - 38ug/L (range 15-250)

MVC - HI, 101,7fL (range 75-100)
A high TPOAb indicates autoimmune damage to the thyroid due to either Hashimoto's Thyroiditis or Graves disease. As your TSH is elevated along with low T4, the diagnosis is Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.  Test for free T3 as well.  

Elevated MCV (mean cell volume), which means enlarged blood cells, can be due to various conditions but includes vitamin B12 deficiency and folate deficiency.  Vitamin B12 deficiency traps folate in an unusable form. Low or deficient folate is a common finding with B12 deficiency.

Elevated ESR is showing inflammation in the body. An elevated ESR can be due to various conditions but includes thyroid disease and anaemia.

Infection is the most common cause of an elevated WBC count. However your elevated WBC also rises due to high inflammation.

PTH (parathyroid hormone) needs to be tested with calcium. PTH and calcium work together in a seesaw effect. Calcium should be high when PTH is low and vice versa. Ionized calcium is the more accurate than serum calcium.

No sign of celiac's disease based on the transglutaminase result (diagnostic accuracy of more than 90%).  

Cortisol is within normal range however cortisol fluctuates within 24 hours which is why a 24 hour saliva cortisol test is more accurate.

Vitamin D deficiency is common with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I have read this is due to genetic defects in the vitamin D receptor site. You need more vitamin D to maintain levels.

Ferritin (iron storage) is not optimal. The lower the ferritin level, even within the normal range, the more likely there is not enough iron.  Low iron is common with hypothyroidism due to low stomach acid or metabolism slowing down blood cell production in the bone marrow. Low iron can also be due to vitamin B12 and folate deficiency. Both are co factors for iron absorption along with vitamin C and zinc.

Your FSH and LH look within normal range.
Please look at this list of 26 typical hypothyroid symptoms and tell us which ones you have.

http://endocrine-system.emedtv.com/hypothyroidism/hypothyroidism-symptoms-and-signs.html

You mentioned being taken off liothyronine and put back on levothyroxine.  Why were you taking only T3 (liothyronine)?  I see no tests for T3 at all.  Why haven't they tested you for Free T3, or at least Total T3?  Especially when you were being given T3 med.

And when you mentioned Hashi's, which is indicated by the high level of TPO ab, they thought that was related to hyperthyroidism?????  Wow, you really need a good thyroid doctor, which I know is hard to find in the UK, but we are going to do all we can to help you through this and get you feeling better.

So please give us the answers to the above questions and we'll go from there.
Wow, you got it going on, don't you?

High TSH and low Free T4 indicates that you are suffering from Hypothyroidism (under active thyroid).

High Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody indicates that you have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.  

Low B12, folate and high MVC indicates pernicious anemia, which is another autoimmune.  

High WBC indicates inflammation (most likely thyroid)).

Low vitamin D indicates just that.

I don't know how long you've been on the thyroid medication, but 200 mcg is a very high starting dose.  It's always best to start low and increase gradually, so you body can adjust to the hormones, it's been doing without.  Besides, there may well be a dosage much lower than 200 mcg that will be sufficient for you.  

I'm happy to know you are started on B12 shots.  I self inject weekly and they do make a huge difference in the way I feel.  It will take a while even for the injections to bring your levels up.  I have to inject weekly in order to keep my levels high enough to make a difference.

The vitamin D should also help.  

I'm very sorry your doctor was so rude to you.  She is wrong that Hashimoto's is a hyperthyroid condition.  While some people with Hashimoto's can cycle through hyper periods, Graves Disease is the condition associated with being hyper, while Hashimoto's is associate with being hypo.

You should ask for a thyroid ultrasound to determine if you have nodules on your thyroid.  Many of us with Hashi's do have them, and most of the time they are of no concern, but do bear watching.

Thank you all for the advice, I shall re-read the information given and apply what I can, Thanks again, x