Thyroid Disorders Community
Is it possible for hypothyroidism to be temporary?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I'm wresting with the what seems to be a temporary bout of hypothyroidism and all that entails. When I had my thyroid numbers checked initially, the TSH number was WAY high so my doc sent me back to get the T3/T4 numbers checked. There was only a 9-day gap in my blood tests and my Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone number had dropped from 5.3 to 4.7 which is still high, but indicative that my body is compensating. The (T3/T4) numbers were normal. My doc suggested the possibility that a virus had impacted my thyroid but that I was recovering, naturally. The fact that my thyroid numbers were recovering on their own gives me hope that I can regulate naturally. I just wonder if this is at all possible. I have another three weeks before we re-check my t3/t4 numbers but I'm wondering if I should be doing more.

Has anyone here had "temporary hypothyroidism"? Do I need to push for a specialist?  Do I take something homeopathic?
Tags: hypothyroid tsh t3 t4
Please post your T3 and T4 numbers.  Indicate if they are free T3 and free T4 or total T3 and total T4.  Also, please include reference ranges that vary lab to lab so have to come from your own lab report.  Reference ranges for FT3 and FT4 are severely flawed.  Often FT4 has to be midrange and FT3 upper half of range before symptoms are relieved.

How do you feel?  Do you feel hypo?

Has your doctor run thyroid antibody tests to verify that this is a temporary thyroiditis rather than initial stages of autoimmune thyroiditis?
TSH, 3rd generation W/Reflex to FT4 on the second test was 4.75 (abn: H)
T3, Free was 3.4 - Normal range: 2.3-4.2
T4, Free was 1.2 - Normal range: 0.8-1.8

No antibody tests have been run. She ordered retest of TSH, T3 & T4 three months out from the original test for comparison.

I still feel blah but am unsure as to whether it is hypothyroid or anemia related.

When the thyroid issues were discovered in the first place, I'd gone to the doctor primarily to look into menstrual issues. I figured I was simply anemic at the time. Turns out I was borderline anemic (ferritin almost depleted, circulating iron in the normal range, on iron supplement). Menstrual issues are still not resolved. Treatment led to more rigorous bleeding so I'd be surprised if I'm not anemic on top of whatever my thyroid is doing.
Your FT3 and FT4 look pretty good.  FT4 is a little below midrange, and midrange is the target for FT4.  FT3 is a little above midrange, also good.  Your TSH would indicate that your pituitary would like to have your levels just a little higher.  

Anemia can definitley cause some of the same symptoms as hypo.  

There are a couple of kinds of "temporary" thyroiditis that usually resolve spontaneously...DeQuervain's and silent thyroiditis.  Your TSH (which is the least important of the three tests) is the only one out of range.  Your FT3 and FT4 are nicely up in their ranges.

There is no way to directly treat any thyroiditis.  Only symptoms can be treated and replacement hormones provided.  If I were you, I think I'd address the iron issue and see what that does before I worried too much about thyroid.  If your symptoms have not resolved when you're tested again, it might be time to test antibodies (TPOab and TGab).   In the meantime, I don't think there's a whole lot you can do, except work on your iron.
Thanks so much goolarra. This bleeding is driving me bonkers and BC pills seem to only be exacerbating it. I hope I can get my uterus under control.