Thyroid Disorders Community
Is lower back pain associated with Graves disease?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Ever since being dx w/ graves I have had weird back pain that won't go away.  I have had many tests that rule out problems with kidneys and stones and bladder... etc.  I am curious to know if this is all associated or if I am just falling apart...

I am a 23 yr old mother of 4... so this pain is not helping my life at all... now if has gotten so bad it just plain hurts to move at all.
When was the last time you had a woman's physical or a back check-up?  

Having 4 children can also play havoc with your lower back - picking them up and down all day long.  

I don't ever remember Graves making my lower back hurt.  I do, however, remember how bad I felt in general.  Have you been treated with RAI, surgery, or are you taking meds to help slow your thyroid down slowly?  Not that it makes any difference, just curious.  ;)

Kat
Have they checked you for ovarian cysts?
This probably has nothing to do with your condition (and I am the LAST person on Earth to comment on Graves' since it's been in complete control of my life for over two years), but I have read that over an extended period of time hyperthyroidism can cause bone degeneration due to calcium loss. My teeth are witness to that. I kept telling my doctor that it seems I'm having more teeth problems since fighting this ______ thing, but she acted like it was no big deal. WELL... once again, after researching a little bit, I found out that bone degeneration is yet another result of this condition if left untreated properly.
By the way, tdex, I only just now noticed that you said you were a twenty-three year-old mother of FOUR kids. Unbelievable! No offense, but that sounds like enough to hurt any body. I can't even imagine. I'm a man, but I'd probably be in a psych ward if I had to deal with that. I can't even take care of MYSELF. As bad as this Graves' is just on me, adding women problems and the HUGE responsibility of all those kids would have to be a real bear. Amazing. How do you do it?
Everyone will get tired of reading this from me but I have found this the only thing to work. LittleEd you should try it to. I am 25 and only have one child but I know how frustraing Graves is especially with children. Try to find a specialist chiropractor close to you they are called upper cervical chiropractors. I have done the radioactive iodine which did not work, I have been taking 26 pills a day for 2 years now which is not working which has stalled my surgery for a year and a half which I am glad or I would not have saw Dr. Wood. A females atlas is supposed to be between 12 and 16 degrees mine is shifted to the side and sitting at 24 degrees he said it is the highest he has saw and hes been doing this for 12 years. My atlas moving shifted my spine as well which was blocking the nerves to my throid so it could not communicate with my body hence it being overactive and the medicane not working. I had my first adjustment today and already the swelling in my eye has gone down a little and the goiter in my throat has gone down a little as well. I can already fell a difference other than the slight soreness in my neck from my bones being shifted but in 1 adjustment he has already took 75% of the pressure off my brain stem. Dr. Wood has 5 hypothyroid patients he has realigned and after a few adjustments their thyroid started working again and they are no longer on synthroid or any other medications. I would recommend and upper cervical specialist to anyone. Dr. Wood has helped children with ADHD, patients with severe fibromyalgia, infertility problems, carpal tunnel and many more. his youngest patient was 3 weeks old and oldest was 95. It is amazing what they can make your body fix all by shifting 1 bone.
I have my hands full that is for sure... I am a member of another thyriod board and one of the moderators they told me muscle cramps are very common...so I am on my way into the doc for anxiety attacks and for the pain....

As far as the kids... I have a 6 yr old, a 4 yr old, and twin 20 month olds... so I have considered the wear and tear that this has on my back... but it's not the same as usual back pain.  I have had several ultrasounds I do ovarian cysts on my left ovary, but they only cause my pain on my period moments... I just want to feel better.  I am on 30 mg of methimazole, and 60mg extended release 2 a day of propanolol... med list I have a feeling will be growing as of today...

Thanks everyone!
Tasha
I know what you mean.  I also have grave's disease and a pain in my lower left side of my back (where my kidney is located) affects me daily.  Sometimes it is a dull pain and sometimes so strong it makes me so sick all I want to do is go to bed.  Two doctors have told me it is probably a pulled muscle.  I know what a pulled muscle feels like and this is definitely not that.  I may try the chiropractic treatment as I am open to anything now to get rid of the pain.  Having Grave's is bad enough, never mind the extra things that go along with it.  

I know having 4 kids and carrying them around can hurt or injure your back.  However, I think you know your body best and would know a muscle pull pain from another.  Let me know if you tried something new.  

ES