Thyroid Disorders Community
Is my pain associated with thyroid disease

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Not really sure what is happening I have been quite unwell for about eighteen months but I feel problems started about five years ago - initially with bilateral lower leg weakness diagnosed HLAB27+   referred to Rheumatologist who said I had seronegative arthritis, meanwhile leg weakness eventually has become so debilitating so went to Neurologist who carried out nerve conduction studies and MRI of Brain and Spine.  Nothing significant except for a syrinx in the spinal cord.  Last week my GP repeated Thyroid Function Tests which showed TSH <0.03 FT4 19.5 and FT3 7.3 - Neck Ultrasound also showed Thyrotoxicosis. I am often tired,  have a sensation of overheating am sore when I touch my throat and get up in the middle of the night often finding myself wanting to eat.  I am unsure if this hyper or hypo thyroid disease.  would be so grateful if anyone has had any of these symptoms and may give me some advise as I really have no idea of what lies ahead.

Suze
Hi Suze - Hope you feel better soon.

Arthritis in any form whether RA or not is an inflammatory disease and thyroid is responsible to trigger inflamatory responses when those hormones are off.

Thyroid-toxicosis is hormone infecting the gland and making the hormone toxic - in a form to the body so you can not push out the right levels to make the inflammation or ??? (others) feel right.

I see you had free testing done but did they test for Hashimoto? - It may - or may not - make a difference - but important to know when you are toxic thyroid.

What form of treatment have they put you on?

Hi Stella - Thank you for informative reply, it is much appreciated.

I will be returning to see my general practitioner on Tuesday 27/4  - where I am trusting she will refer me to an Endocrinologist and I am sure things will start from then.  I have managed to get hold of my last lot of blood test results (and will definitely be sure to get copies of all results and keep a journal of them).  

When you say did they test for Hashimoto I am unsure of that.  There was however mention made at the end of the report which reads:  consistent with possible T3 Thyrotoxicosis suggest repeat test to confirm.  No mention of Hashimotos.  

Will keep you posted.

Suze.
hopefully the tests will tell more. sounds like your gp is barking up that tree, so will either lead to diagnoses or elimination. one of the keys is getting a good endo, so if you know of one, and have the choice, go with them!
i didn't experience the severe weakness with hyperthyroidism - which i'm recovering from now - but i did have the overheating, the irrits, crummy sleep, and ate all day (huge appetite) with no weight gain, fidgety, high pulse rate. i had been diagnosed with fatigue syndrome which i attributed any fatigue or muscle weakness to.
good luck
Hi I currently suffer from Hypothyroid i was diagnosed with graves disease when i was sixteen years old.  The symptoms your having sounds as if it could be hyperthyroid usually the symptoms are unexplained weight loss, over heated, unable to sleep, overly energized, and it also can cause symptoms depression or other types of psychiatric symptoms.. I suggest you ask your doctor to run blood works to check you T3, T4 and your TSH the three important blood works which will determine if it actually is your thyroid fuctions acting up or if its other certain gland problems.
sounds familiar to what i went through. i was diagnosed with menopause and hypothyroid at the same time. I went to a bio identical dr in jax fl. i was put on natural thyroid prescription which i asked for instead of the synthetic and in 2-3 months...i was a different person. I was also put on bio identical hormones and they tested my d3  dhea etc and of course they saw that i was depleted in everything.....so i also have 5000mg d3 a day, 7-keto dhea that raises dhea  without raising other hormones getting them out of wack, and do all my bio identical hormones in cream or gel form to bypass the liver....I WISH I HAD WENT TO BIO IDENT dr sooner......exercise and healthier eating also helps as we age....