Thyroid Disorders Community
Is there a link between fibroids and thyroid disorders?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I am a 38 year old female and have had very large uterine fibroids (my uterus is the size of a 26 week pregnancy).  I am suffering a lot of symptoms which seem to overlap with many other conditions, one of which is hypothyroidism.  The symptoms also mimic those of anaemia (also associated with large fibroids) and depression.   I have been doing some research and have found many links between all of the above conditions (fibroids, hypothyroidism and anaemia) but am in a bit of a "chicken and egg" potision.  My GP however, dismisses me and insists that my dreadful daily symptoms (fatgue, aches and pains, weight gain - even when eating a calorie controlled healthy diet - mood swings, over-emotional, anger, irritability, difficulty concentrating, loss of interest in things, withdrawal, craving of chocolate and red meat, sticky eyes, dry itchy skin patches, feverish feeling...)  are all to do with depression ONLY.  He has not done any blood tests but instead put me on anti-depressants which are making me feel worse.   My mood swings, weepiness and over-emotion, cravings, confusion due to feeling "out of control", tiredness and fatigue...all seem to get worse around a week before my period (which is always heavy, painful, and longer than 7 days).  I also snore more, feel sluggish and slow and cannot seem to lose weight....my hair is dry and breaks easily and my nails are much more brittle (which I used to put down to lots of washing up in my job....but I was made redundant over 10 months ago).  
Does anyone think there could be a link to all of these things and that the depression is just symptomatic of one or all of these other "physical" conditions and that I should therefore have a test for anaemia and hypothyroidism.....and concentrate more on treating the fibroids to tackle the depression???  I just feel there is more to my depression as I have lived with anxiety for years (I also read that this can be a sign of future thyroid problems) but have never really had an issue with depression until last year when my fibroids grew to such proportions.
Thankyou to anyone out there who takes the time to read this.  I would be so grateful for any input as I am at the end of my tether :-(
I don't know about hypothyroid causing fibroids but it did cause endometriosis in me due to the cange in hormones and length of my period going to 10 days. My mother in law, aunt in law, and grandma in law all have hypothryoidism and had fibroids and had to have hysterectomies by age 40.  
Are you seeing an OB/GYN for the fibroids?
Have you been checked for a thyroid disorder? If not You need to get blood tests done to check for a thyroid disorder asap. Thyroid disorders will cause all your symptoms.
From all the research I have done I've realized that hypothyroid can cause a lot of issues with the reproductive system.
I had issues with a dr not listening so I found a new one. Is there any other dr in that practice you can see or maybe find a different one through your insurance.

Hopefully others on here respond to this post cause they have a lot of knowledge for thyroid disorders.
Its speculated and some facts will support the thyroid when ill - can cause issues.

Its an estrogen based condition and when its too high fibroids could develope along with a suppressed (hypo) low functioning thyroid when estrogen dominance is present.

The other interesting thing is iodine deficiency also could play a role in both these conditions when faced with them - but in so many medical offices in traditional treatment - Iodine levels are nearly never examined as an issue when both these conditions are present.

You should research iodine and understand the concept it could offer you as something to search out with a doctor who understands how iodine is so essential for health.

Thank you both for your replies.  I am seeing the Doctor again on Friday as I'm still convinced my symptoms are not just "due to your mental state" as he put it.  There is definite physical problems and the anti-depressants he has put me on are making me feel 10 times worse as far as the fatigue, the achyness and I seem to want to eat loads more than usual......they make me feel like a zombie.  
At least now I can go to him armed with some facts and hopefully pursuade him to at least investigate with blood tests.
Thanks Again,
Ally
Hi Ally,
I know I'm posting this late but only just saw this now. How are you now, 6 months on? Just wanted to say, if you had a thyroid test with the GP and it came back negative this does not mean to say that your thyroid is not an issue. The thyroid tests you get through the gp are very crude and only detect things when they've gone really bad.  You may well have hypothyroidism at a 'sub-clinical' level, where it is not detectable by the standard tests but nonetheless can have significant effects on you.  Best thing is to have a thyroid screen test from a company like Genova Diagnostics which can detect not just TSH and T4 levels but also T3, reverse T3, and various autoantibodies (to detect for things like autoimmune thyroiditis).  This will help determine on what level your thyroid is needing suppprt (assuming it is!) (e.g originating from the pituitary gland, thyroid hormone production or thyroid hormone conversion) as it's quite complex and as you've already discovered, GPs have neither the time nor the knowledge to approach this from an individual, holistic functional perspective. Functional medicine practitioners are taught more in depth about how the different systems interact on biochemical and functional level. Are you still taking the anti-depressant? It's worrying how doctors seem to dole them out like smarties!  You should consider going to see a nutritional therapist  or naturopath or someone who practices functional medicine, even a more enlightened doctor who knows about functional testing  to help determine exactly what is going wrong in your system and will be able to help support your body.  Good luck and good health to you!  
Lisa
Hi, there is an excellent book called overcoming your thyroid disorder that will be helpful to answering your questions.  I have fibroids and extreme periods, and have hd this for years. My GP and GYN said I could either have a hysterectomy or wait out menopause (I was 38 when given these educated options) so went seeking other options.  I have seen an alternative md who discovered that I have hashimotos disease which cause hypothyroidism and fibroids and heavy period are a known symptom of thyroid issues.  I'd ask your doctor to test your thyroid again test the anti top, t3 and t4 along with regular tsp levels.  Read the book, it's excellent education.  I am currently on a treatment plan and can not comment on it's success as of yet (it's only been 1.5months)
i also have a large fibroid but besides that i gain some weights and look pregnat (dont care 4 it) dont have any bother went to the doct and didnt agree for undergoing hysterectomy thats never gonne happen waiting for menopause to come so fribroid will shrink naturally so to me u not suffering from deppresion NO so stop imediately antideppresant u taking its just ur anxiety caused of iregular hormones i used for about three mnths 0.5mg xanax  then went down on 0.25mg once in a day when i needed trust me i feel better then i was b4 ,, energy is great , periods not so bad , never fatigue , great sleep , very cool and not stressed ,,,tell to ur doct about it ,, or change the doct
Maybe try ThyroFem from Vitanica... it s naturopathie to help tu regulate tyroid with natural products... hope it s helps !
I have learned something new just recently.  I have always thought that one would have to feel depressed to be depressed.  I have a lot of anxiety lately to which they keep telling me that I am depressed.  I myself am concluding that I am indeed depressed.  Now I am looking for a natural way to treat the depression.  I don't want those pills that make you fat and constipated.  It defeats my purpose to losing the weight and being more active.  I believe that activity is the key ingredient to health, now I pray God to help me to apply what I preach.  Anxiety requires a fight or flight response to a stressful situation to which we surpress with drugs.  This is unnatural.  Our emotions are being stifled instead of being delt with.  

I pray that this has been of some help!  

In Jesus, Love Jeannine

There is a post here that mentions Xanax as an answer to anxiety.  It would be better to be on anti depressants than to get addicted to anxiety medication.  This is speaking from experience.  

For my hypothyroidism i have chosen sea herbs such as kelp, cleavers and bladderwrack which should at the same time deal with fibroids, helping the lymph system.