Thyroid Disorders Community
Joint and Muscle pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Joint and Muscle pain

Hi Everyone, I know that thyroid issues can cause Joint and Muscle pain but can someone tell me why?
Hi, the thyroid is a major gland in your body that controls all your metabolism. Which means it affects how literally everything works including joints and muscles. When you are hypothyroid in particular and your metabolism is slowed down, you lack general energy and you lack energy in your muscles which become weak. and due to the stress put on them to work more effectively they can get sore and tired. When you are hyperthyroid and your metabolism is going too fast, everything becomes overworked so yet again stress is put on your muscles etc aswell. I've tried to describe it as best I can but I'd wait some of the more experienced people to answer your post aswell, as their are probably many more additional reasons why this happens. Hope this helps fornow.
Makes good sense to me! Thank you!
It was explained to me that in both cases (hypo and hyper) you do not get the right kind of sleep so your muscles and other organs do not get the proper 'chemical exchange'  deep sleep proper gives the body. I am hypo with muscle pain. I am a light sleeper and seldom dream. Protien after exersise helps me. Explore self trigger point theropy - most people in pain dont know what trigger points are - doctors dont even know it. Some chiros do. Physical therapy will not work until you make the trigger points go away. Took me 3 months. Still comes back at times, but I can make it go away for a while without drugs. May never 100% go away. $20 at Barnes and Noble , Trigger Point Theropy Workbook by Claire Davis. In pain ? buy this book, and learn it!!!!
Also, if no relief .. have them check your Vit. D levels .... they can mimic hypo symptoms!

C~
I had severe muscle pain when I first read this forum, I was also advised to try Vitamin D and Magnesium, I started taking the vitamins every day and notice an immediate improvement in just four days, I used to get aches in my neck (Right side rear) upper arm and shoulder and the bottom of the calves of my legs, then once in a while while in bed I would get severe pains/aches in my hips and thighs, after two weeks of the Vitamins I now only get a little cramp in the calves and a little stiffness in my neck, but nothing like it used to be. there is a marked improvement and makes life easier. There is an old saying "Friends in need are friends indeed" Thanks FTB4
Thank everyone! I am on Vit D have been for about a year. I started back on my high potency Vits the other day which do contain Magnesium so maybe that will help to! My TSH is a bit low for me but seems to be coming back up now instead of down after surgery. I can't believe how sensitive my body has been to the different levels being off even just by a tad. At 1.02 I was freezing now at 1.05 I'm hurting. Before surgery I maintained 1.5 and felt pretty good. I just wished my Endo would have increased my meds before I began to drop. He seems to be conservative in giving me meds to bring it back up. Maybe there is a reason I wondered if he was trying to give what is left of my thyroid to kick in and not become lazy by meds although I'm really not sure.
I have had crazy thyroid numbers 39.9 a year ago and then for months on synthroid, didn't help much.  Now armour thyroid has brought it down to 8 but dr. wants to do a nuclear scan and I am told by the radiologist, that I have to be off of my medication for 2 weeks first! WHAAT?  I am only just beginning to crawl out of bed, barely.  I cannot imagine what will happen to me if I don't take the medication for that long.  I have small nodules and yes, joint weakness and my feet and hands are cold a lot. I was told that I have tendonitis.  I've had that before. THis isn't it.

A commercial talks about the Adrenal Fatigue Institute and they are selling Cylopril.  Is this a medical and ethical insitute, or are they just selling something?  

What will happen if I take a diet pill with my thyroid medication?  I haven't thought of Vit D and my doctor hasn't mentioned it.  I have been intubated several times for asthma.  God, does this ever End?!