Thyroid Disorders Community
L-tyrosine and hypo/hashimoto's

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

L-tyrosine and hypo/hashimoto's

I was taking l-tyrosine and 5-htp for some anxiety issues i have.It was working great but then i found out i'm hypo and have hashimoto's disease.My thyroid levels are back to normal with the right levorothroxine dosage but still feel like crap.Is it possible to start back up on l-tyrosine and 5-htp?I take my thyroid meds at night so i'd figure i could go with the l-tyrosine in the morning time.

There really isnt any studies i can find on how much it effects your TSH,but wanted get back on it since it's was the only 2 things that make me feel better.Some of the doses work there way upto 3.5 grams a day so not really sure what i can do.
The Depression and Anxiety were more than likely just the first symptoms that you had, they are definatly thyroid symptoms, I had insomnia for two years before the other symptoms started, everyone is different as to when and which symptoms appear first, do you have any of your test results from when you were on Cytomel, or better yet the latest ones, which hopefully your MD did Free T3 and Free T4? If not, then that would indicate why you never got well. If he just medicated you by TSH alone, IO would insist on the Free's, if he refuses, find another MD that will treat by Free T3 and Free T4 and how you feel, or rather your symptoms and not just have tunnel vision with TSH, your symptoms can improve with the right treatment, by the right MD. Please Post latest Labs with reference ranges for each. Best Regards FTB4
I would not be too concerned about TSH as it is not a thyroid hormone, but a pituitary hormone. Has your MD done any Free T3 and Free T4 labs? If so please post and include reference ranges provided with each. The Pituitary Gland located in the brain senses the levels of T3 hormone, when the hormone is low the Thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) increases, if the T3 hormone is high, the TSH is low. Your levels may show you are in range with TSH, but your T3 and T4 could still be low enough to cause symptoms, if your MD has not done the Free's T3 and T4, Request him/her to do so, then post results here for advice and comments. Good Luck FTB4
I know for sure that my ft4 doesnt convert to ft3 well due to the hashimotos.Awhile ago i was treating myself with cynomel and got to the right ft3 levels.Didnt feel any better though.I tried to ask my doctor but there was no explaining it to him :/The anxiety and depression is something i have had for many years long before i had all the thyroid issues.
I was looking at my old test results and all i have was my TSH T4 and T3 along with both of my antibodies.Those are sky high in the 2300 range.Right now i have health care from a clinic with a GP but i will ask again and see if i can get him to get those tests.thanks
Have you ever tried Armour?  I have Hashi's too and never did well on Levo or Synthroid, They were both T4 meds and I have a conversion issue also, I have done well on Armour. Good Luck on those tests  FTB4
"I know for sure that my ft4 doesnt convert to ft3 well due to the hashimotos." Hashi's doesn't determine whether or not you convert FT4 to FT3.  The antibodies that cause Hashimoto's attack the thyroid and conversion is done mostly in the liver.  You have to have both FT3 and FT4 levels tested in order to determine adequate conversion.

"i was treating myself with cynomel (sic) and got to the right ft3 levels".  Are you in the U.S.?  If so, how were you treating yourself with cytomel?  Did your doctor prescribe it?  If not, how did you get it? How do you know you got your levels right, if you haven't been tested for FT3?

What dosage of levo are you on, and how long have you been on it?  As FTB4 said, if your doctor isn't testing FT3 and FT4 levels, you have no idea whether you're on the right dose or not.

"I was looking at my old test results and all i have was my TSH T4 and T3 along with both of my antibodies."  Please post whatever thyroid labs you have, along with reference ranges, which vary lab to lab and have to come from your own report. Also indicate the date of each set of labs, and whether or not you were on medication; if so, what med/dosage.  Also indicate if the T3 and T4 were "free" or "total".  If the lab report doesn't say Free, or FT, etc, then the tests will be for total T3 and total T4, which are not the same; nor are they as useful.
The first time i seen the doctor i asked for armour.He told me its old medicine and getting phased out :/ I wonder about them sometimes.I really wanted to try it out since i read good things on it.Since he is the only GP there,i have no other options besides maybe getting on medi-cal or find some other health program if at all possible.
I have been going by what i read online so thats how i came up with the conversion problem.As far as the cytomel goes,i was ordering it online from a pharmacy in mexico.It was real t3 medicine for sure,cause i was paying a lab to run the tsh,ft3,ft4 tests...trying to fix it myself.

I got my ft3 to 3.1 on a range of 4.2 i believe.Not bad for it being 1.3 before.Again,from what i read it is supposed to be 75 percent of the range which was 4.2.So,i was kinda close?Orginal TSH was 5 and was taking 25mcg cytomel which brought me up to that point and a TSH of 0.42.Didnt feel any better.
Brain fog/depression/anxiety etc all still there even after months of dosing.

Right now im on 100mcg levrothroxine and have been since 2-3 months ago.Theses test's were from 11/25/2012.

T4 - 7.2           (4.5-12.0 mcg/dl)
TSH - 1.54      (0.40-4.50 mi u/l)
T3 Total - 90    (76-181 ng/dl)
thyroglobulin abs 2635   (20 iu/ml)
thyroid peroxidase abs 601 (35 iu/ml)

The doctor usually orders new bloodwork randomly since i only see him once every 2 months.