Thyroid Disorders Community
LOW- IODINE DIETS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

LOW- IODINE DIETS

Okay, this has been so confusing and hard for me. I have been told so many different stories about the low Iodine diet. I have been given some information about what to and not to eat while doing the low Iodine diet and I am needless to say lost and confused. First I was told to do it for over a month by my Dr and when I discussed with his Ma , she told me it states to only do it for 2 weeks prior to test, never allowing me to speak to the DR. again to reiterate. I did however call the hospital doing the scan and spoke to one of the people who do the actual iodine scans and she told me, they are not suppose to tell you to go against the DR. but do not make myself suffer, their protocal is to do a low iodine diet 2 weeks prior to test and that is all. So after my own research I did just that. I ate as normal. Tomorrow will be my 2 weeks prior to my scan and obviously do need to start my diet asap. I did read the thyca cook book and am confused as to the paper my Dr.s office gave me and that. I read I can have butter or margarine onmy paperwork from Docs office but it does contradict itself. Now the Thyca says only one type of butter/marg and it is found on the East coast. As well as bread. Things I desperately need...lol even spag/pasta. Does anyone out there know of actual product name I can get to help me through this. I am very symptomatic , so cooking is hard for me most days.I do not have it in me to cook a week in advance for myself. I mean the disease is bad enough , let alone having to try and find foods that I have no way to go out and research.I live in Az so if anyone out there knows of any products you have used for this low iodine diet prior to a scan PLEASE HELP ME AND LET ME KNOW! I am desperate and hungry!! I have gone quite some time with out being able to eat and when I can eat I want to. Thak You :)

I had low iodine diet back in August. I started before I went to the specialist. I was on strict low iodine diest for 3 weeks because the schedule. the last week was very hard. I did not use any oil, flour, rice, seafood,..... I only ate boiled vegetable with plain salt and fruits. I was determined to be good for 3 weeks to make sure the thyroid cells had no iodine. It was not easy. My doctor gave another list and told me that if I folloowed the list, I would be starving. he was so right. I dreamed about cookies and rice and soup every hour. But, he said definitely stayed away from seafood and salted food and iodine salt.

Vegetable and fuirt juice with carrots and bananas is good. Unsalted nuts from Whole food or Trader Joe are good. Good luck and hope you have a successful treatment.

Vivi
Thank You, I am so hungry...lol I am looking for some butter/marg and some bread I can eat. I get confused by what the labels read! GRRRR
What test are you having done exactly, the uptake scan?  Or are you about to have RAI?

The key here is LOW iodine, not NO iodine.  Before I did RAI, I was going mental trying to cut out every darn thing with iodine.  I was starving too!  It doesn't say to eliminate it 100% completely...just to try really hard not to eat it { like seafood is a definite no-no }.  You still have to have nutrients...just be smart and don't start eating all the foods that have iodine in it now just because you can't =)  Good luck!

Mellowscout...have a good day.
I am just having an uptake scan done. I am not trying to starve myself, but the diet I was shown does not explain good enough as to what I can eat. It says no dairy...so on but uet it says you can have butter/margarine and bread...but at the same time all the ingrediants in the 2 have what I am told to stay away from. I am so confused, did you still eat those things at all?
I don't remember having to go on a low iodine diet before having the uptake scan done.  I only did the low iodine before the RAI...
Yeah, I still ate bread and peanut butter and jelly.  I can't tell you what to do, I'm not a doctor or your doctor.  I would say just follow as close as possible.  A few weeks without bread won't kill ya. You can still eat lots of fruits and veggies.  I literally lived on carrots, lol.  Try googling some websites, that helped me a lot.

http://www.thyca.org/rai.htm

http://www.thyroidcommunity.com/patient/resources/tc_eng_pt_res_lowiodine.asp

Mellowscout...good luck