Thyroid Disorders Community
Lab question
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Lab question

Hi everyone.  I have been dealing with some issues for the past two years and can not seem to get any help.  My labs, of course, show within normal range yet everything I read states that there might be an issue.  

My labs are as follows:

2008:  
T4 free:  0.85
TSH: 0.43

2009:
T4 free: 0.79
TSH 0.89

2010:
TSH: 0.87
Dr. did not test for t4..

Does anyone have any help or information for me?

Thanks so much!!
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
What's the range on your FT4?  Reference ranges vary from lab to lab and have to come from your own lab report.

Guessing to some extent her (due to lack of ranges), but your FT4 looks low.  Since your TSH is also on the low side, you might be suffering from secondary hypothyroidism (your pituitary doesn't pu out sufficient TSH to stimulate your thyroid to produce hormones).  

Do you have hypo symptoms?
Blank
Hi..the ranges from the lab are 0.77-1.61.  I really appreciate the information provided so far.  

I have quite a few hypo symptoms as well as a few other issues that do not classify as thyroid.  My doctor keeps saying all is normal.  I am visiting a different doctor next week and would love to have as much information as possible.

Thanks
Blank
Your FT4 is very low.  Your highest FT4 was just below 10% of range.  Many of us find that our hypo symptoms are not relieved until FT4 is at least 50%.

Ask your new doctor to test FT3 as well.  FT4 is the storage form of the thyroid hormones and must be converted to T3 before our bodies can use it.  FT3 levels correlate best with symptoms.

With your low TSH, I'd definitely ask my doctor about secondary hypothyroidism.  It seems that your pituitary is not producing enough TSH, so your thyroid is not being stimulated to produce enough T4.  Secondary hypo is characterized by low FT3 and FT4 accompanied by low TSH.  With your FT4 levels, TSH should be high, not low.

Best of luck with your new doctor...let us know what he has to say.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...