Thyroid Disorders Community
Lab values for TSH

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Lab values for TSH

My original TSH value was 4.0  I read in a health magazine that the values had changed and were now 3.0 so I printed the article that New England Journal of Medicine did on the new lab changes and took it to my doctor.  She was skeptical but did a trial run and monitored me closely.  I spent 4 months on synthetic thyroid medication, had energy to exercise, lost 60 lbs, quit taking naps, didn't suffer from being cold all the time, nails weren't brittle anymore, and my horrible cramps and heavy flow disappeared.  My doctor got nervous about keeping me on the meds and pulled me.  I've been to another doctor and he went by what the lab said and refuses to put me on anything.  I absolutely cannot lose weight, no matter if I diet or exercise, I've been tested for diabetes, glycemia issues, you name it and it all came back normal. I'm cold all the time...how did you guys find a doctor who used a lab that knows the values changed?????
Labs all across the country use different lab ranges.
My lab is currently using 0.34-5.0
Last year it was 0.5-5.0
Some use 0.4-4.0
Some use 0.3-3.0
There are a hundred different ranges being used for the exact same test.

The doctor has to be informed enough about thyroid issues to know that a TSH of 4.0 is unhealthy. Many GPs figure if it falls within lab ranges, all is well.

Find another doctor.

You may be able to convince your first doctor that you improved while on thyroid meds. Ask her to go over tests before and after the med trial, and ask her to explain why she felt the need to take you off of them. Maybe you were going Hyper and she stopped the meds rather than reducing the dosage.

If that does not produce information satisfactory to you, find another doctor.
From what I've read, the lower numbers are target ranges for patients - those already diagnosed and currently taking meds.

Keep in mind that your drs might be wise to not give you the meds at your level, they are not without risks.  Those include osteoporosis and heart problems.  Sometimes the risks can outweigh the benefits.  I am one who has no choice because my thyroid had to be removed, but I get scared of what the med might cause over the long run.

Good luck.
I would think that most, if not all, endocrinologists are using the more narrow range now.

Do you know what level your TSH came down to while on the meds? As long as it wasn't below0.3-0.5, there isn't usually a problem, especially since you had so much improvement.