Thyroid Disorders Community
Levothyroxin & Crohns Disease
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Levothyroxin & Crohns Disease

I am 22 and have Crohn disease for which I am presently taking Pentasa (4 grams). I had surgery last year but although I don't feel ill I am starting to flare.  Last Nov I had a TSH test and my Free T4 was slightly low so my PCP put me on Levothyroxin (levothyroxine) 50mcg.  I have never had a low T4 before, but she thought it might help my fatigue issues.  It has not and now 4.5 months later I feel trapped taking this medication.  My gastro told me to see the PCP who prescribed it but she left the practice and the new doctor told me to go to an endocrinologist who I can't even get an appointment with until July.  I want off of this medication because the brain fogginess is getting worse, I have no appetite (I only weigh 117 lbs and am 5'6") and with taking Pentasa and numerous supplements for nutrition related deficiencies this thyroid pill is not improving my situation.  My first blood test after being on it actually showed a mildly hyperactive thyroid (but normal) and so did my most recent one 2 weeks ago.  Can I safely go off of this because I feel that the tiredness and brain fog is a direct result of being on this. I have also experienced hair loss and that is causing me more distress as well. Was my PCP too quick to put me on this and can I just go off? I really don't think I have a thyroid problem and she shouldn't have put me on this medication even at a low dose. I will still see an endocrinologist, but July is a long time to wait on a pill that makes me feel awful and only adds to my numerous medications and supplements.