Thyroid Disorders Community
Levothyroxin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Levothyroxin

What could one expect the results to be if he/she takes Levothyroxin (levothyroxine) by mistake for 17days? Can it cause Liver damage or something?
Tags: Liver
As with any med, there can be different side effects that can occur - including interacting with your other meds (if you are on any).

As far as short term adverse events, here are some of the ones from the PI (the FDA requires all indicated medications to publish their study results and provide warnings for any adverse events that can occur at a noteable level during the usage of the product.  FEW pharamcies or docs give this info out but they are always published on their website.  This info is actually from the Syntrhoid - branded Levothyroxin (levothyroxine) - website):
tremors, muscle weakness, gastro issues (including elevated liver funtion tests), hair loss, decreased bone mineral density, increased appetite, heat intolerance, fever.... and so on......

Here is the link if you want to review it yourself.
http://www.rxabbott.com/pdf/Synthroid.pdf
What dose did you take and how was is accidently taken?
thank you for that information. That site was very helpful.
Not me some one I know.....was under someone elses care and was given this by mistake. Some mistake, uh?
Yes, bad mistake.

If it was low dose like 25 or 50 mcg, probably no problems.

This person should have thyroid tests to make sure all is ok there.
she was given 0.1 mg 3x a day. Her care giver was a registered nurse. She is receiving treatment for her liver now. The dr won't come right out and say the thyroid medicine was the cause so we are searching everywhere trying to find as much info as possible. The dr may be trying to cover up......not sure on that one.
WOW! 300 mcg per day?

What med was she supposed to be given?

Who figured out the mistake? Is this an elderly person?
Yea!   I forgot what med she told me she was supposed to be getting. She finally realized somthing was wrong. No not elderly but disabled.
I'm sorry to hear this. And the fact that it was the patient who discovered the error!