Thyroid Disorders Community
Levothyroxine 1/2 hr. before breakfast (coffee too?)
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Levothyroxine 1/2 hr. before breakfast (coffee too?)

I recently was prescribed levothyroxine ( synthroed) for treatment of a mild hypothyroid condition.  The accompanying literature (and my "Pill Book") both say that the pill should be taken a half hour before food, ideally before breakfast.  My morning routine begins with one cup of coffee.  After taking the pill, must I also wait a half hour to take the coffee?  Will coffee negate the effectiveness of the medication?  (Say it isn't so!--I love my morning cup of coffee).  Forgive what sounds like an overly self-indulgent query, but I do want to make sure that I'm taking the medication properly.

Mickey64
Related Discussions
13 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
212753_tn?1275076711
I take mine with the coffee.It works fine.
Love Venora
Blank
I too drink coffee soon after taking my sythroid and was going to post the same question. Besides Venora ...anyone else hear this is a no-no ?  
Blank
158939_tn?1274918797
Coffee is fine - it's the calcium that "binds" the levothyroxine and can decrease the effectiveness of it.  Unless you are pouring a *ton* of cream in your coffee you should be fine.
Blank
393685_tn?1325870933
Me too cofee is the drink of choice for me. Only I found I take my med at least 2 hours before eating anything. I did notice a difference - but hate to compare since I am on Armour and not Levothryoxine.
Blank
Thanks.  I just add a splash of skim milk.  I normally don't feel hungry when I wake up so waiting before I eat is not an issue.  
Blank
377600_tn?1225167036
I take mine an hour before eating--but I do add a lot milk to my coffee.
Blank
519725_tn?1212001446
I had the same question about coffee.  But I also use soy creamer and soymilk in my breakfast cereal.  My MD said that as long as I'm waiting at least a half hour after taking the med, the soy shouldn't cause any problems.
Blank
Stella, how do can you tell the difference, I have an underactive thyroid and I been on it for over a month now, I have to go for blood work beginning of May 2011, I am not seeing that much of a difference, Dr. started me on the 50mg.  I am not that tired, I am noticing that, I am not losing any weight.

Thanks

Stephanie
Blank
I have always taken mine then made a coffee in the mornings.
Consistancy is the key.
Same time everyday if possible and no food for up to an hour before or after taking.
Blank
I take my levothyroxine as soon as i wake up so when i finally do get up it has been atleast a half hour and i can go ahead and have a cup
Blank
1139187_tn?1355710247
My wife gets up an hour before me.  I pop mine when she gets up, I go back to sleep.  I always feel more relaxed after I take the thyroid.  I can see why people take the thyroid at night.
Blank
Several studies have found that having coffee or espresso at the same or shortly after taking levothyroxine drugs can significantly lower the absorption of the thyroid medication.

In one study published in the journal Thyroid, the rise of T4 -- a reflection of absorption of the medication -- was reduced by 25%, and drops of as much as 57% were seen in other patients in that study.

COFFEE DOES AFFECT THE FUNCTION OF LEVOTHYROXINE MEDS. :(
Blank
I read in some of places that soy is bad for hypothyroidism.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...