Levothyroxine 1/2 hr. before breakfast (coffee too?)
I recently was prescribed levothyroxine ( synthroed) for treatment of a mild hypothyroid condition.  The accompanying literature (and my "Pill Book") both say that the pill should be taken a half hour before food, ideally before breakfast.  My morning routine begins with one cup of coffee.  After taking the pill, must I also wait a half hour to take the coffee?  Will coffee negate the effectiveness of the medication?  (Say it isn't so!--I love my morning cup of coffee).  Forgive what sounds like an overly self-indulgent query, but I do want to make sure that I'm taking the medication properly.

Mickey64
I take mine with the coffee.It works fine.
Love Venora
I too drink coffee soon after taking my sythroid and was going to post the same question. Besides Venora ...anyone else hear this is a no-no ?  
Coffee is fine - it's the calcium that "binds" the levothyroxine and can decrease the effectiveness of it.  Unless you are pouring a *ton* of cream in your coffee you should be fine.
Me too cofee is the drink of choice for me. Only I found I take my med at least 2 hours before eating anything. I did notice a difference - but hate to compare since I am on Armour and not Levothryoxine.
Thanks.  I just add a splash of skim milk.  I normally don't feel hungry when I wake up so waiting before I eat is not an issue.  
I take mine an hour before eating--but I do add a lot milk to my coffee.
I had the same question about coffee.  But I also use soy creamer and soymilk in my breakfast cereal.  My MD said that as long as I'm waiting at least a half hour after taking the med, the soy shouldn't cause any problems.
Stella, how do can you tell the difference, I have an underactive thyroid and I been on it for over a month now, I have to go for blood work beginning of May 2011, I am not seeing that much of a difference, Dr. started me on the 50mg.  I am not that tired, I am noticing that, I am not losing any weight.

Stephanie
I have always taken mine then made a coffee in the mornings.
Consistancy is the key.
Same time everyday if possible and no food for up to an hour before or after taking.
I take my levothyroxine as soon as i wake up so when i finally do get up it has been atleast a half hour and i can go ahead and have a cup
My wife gets up an hour before me.  I pop mine when she gets up, I go back to sleep.  I always feel more relaxed after I take the thyroid.  I can see why people take the thyroid at night.
Several studies have found that having coffee or espresso at the same or shortly after taking levothyroxine drugs can significantly lower the absorption of the thyroid medication.

In one study published in the journal Thyroid, the rise of T4 -- a reflection of absorption of the medication -- was reduced by 25%, and drops of as much as 57% were seen in other patients in that study.

COFFEE DOES AFFECT THE FUNCTION OF LEVOTHYROXINE MEDS. :(
I read in some of places that soy is bad for hypothyroidism.