Levothyroxine and Palpitations (PVCs)
Hello -- I have Hashimoto's and have been on the generic levothyroxine for 4 years.  Over the past year my dose was increased to .175.  For over a month now I have been having palpitations (PVCs - skipping heart beats).  I am taking a Beta Blocker medication to control these abnormal beats.  I have also started the brand name Synthroid med about 2 weeks ago.

Has anyone else had heart problems related to generic levothyroxine and what med did you change to?  Thanks for your help!!
I don't have PVCs, but I do have a congenital heart defect that causes tachycardia.  I have found that any of the brand names and the generic can make arrythmias worse.  I have been on generic, Synthroid and Levoxyl at one time or another, and they all cause increased episodes of tachycardia.  In my case, I think it's the actual medicine in the pills that causes the tachy, not the fillers.  I'm also on a beta blocker to control the tachy.

My guess is that it's your increase that has caused the PVCs, not the generic versus Synthroid.  I say this because you said you did fine on the generic for four years, so what changed was the dose, not the medication, when the PVCs started.

I just couldn't tolerate levo without the beta blockers.

Thanks for you reply!  What meds do you take now?  
I'm on 75 mcg Levoxyl.  I had increased levo several times during 2008.  In January, I had to up the beta blocker from 25 mg to 50 mg to compensate for the levo increases.  I know some people are sensitive to the binders in the different products, and they say changing makes all the difference in the world to them.  However, that has never helped me.  It's the actual drug that I'm sensitive to.