Thyroid Disorders Community
Levothyroxine and heartburn

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Levothyroxine and heartburn

Have recently been diagnosed with Hashi and have started on levothyroxine but I have noticed since I started taking it that I get chronic heartburn - especially at night making it difficult to sleep, but it attacks me at any time of the day and it gets so bad I just want to curl up in a ball and tell the world to go away !  Does anyone have this problem, is it a common side affect, will it stop as my body gets used to taking the meds or should I be revisiting my GP?  
I should add I have Chronic Kidney disease too which means I am unable to take most medications to control heartburn - nothing seems to ease it apart from drinking cold water but that only lasts for minutes then it is back! And with my kidney problem I shouldn't be drinking large amounts (going round in circles) I am getting so tired and fed up with it all !
It is becoming more apparent that both - being hypoT and the meds LEvo due cause symptoms of AR.

The simpliest treatment are best - and if you can trol it by your self the better. There is the story - your PH levels become out of balance when hypoT you need to alkaline the system- actually you are NOT producing too much acis you aren't getting enough. and your PH levels are out of whack.

If you want to be sure - go to the health store and purchase alkaline strips. Due them and see. If your alkaline is less than 7 your Ph is off and need to work on that.

If you want to attempt to see if you get relief try some apple cider vinager in a in a glass of filter water 2 x's daily morning and night. 2 T of ACV works in a 4oz glass of h2o.

Also eat an apple right before bed when you feel this coming on - the pectin in the apple is a PH balancer and relieves alot of symptoms.
Here you are again - my knight in shining armour !  Will try the vinegar and the apple trick and see what happens - in the meantime I just got to suffer I suppose. I am guessing that it will ease in time.
Are you taking the med with enough water?

For some reason I had decided to take the med with less water.  Then I developed what you describe and couldn't figure it out.  I also felt the med wasn't working as well.  When I went back to my usual glass of water everything subsided.

I got that whole idea when I remembered hearing if you take meds with too much water they will wash out of your body and not work.  But I guess I really hadn't been taking it with too much water after all.  Just goes to show you can't listen to everything out there.

Thought I'd pass that idea along.  Good luck.
I will try that tomorrow when I come to take it - maybe if I drink more than usual it will ease it ? Who knows but anything is worth a try !
x
Yes - finally the heartburn is going - taking the meds with more water seems to help it - so thanks to all who helped me out. AT least now I can get a good nights sleep !
:-)
Good !! I am glad the water is working. Did you try the ACV? I am curious to see if others found relief as I did.
Glad to hear that helped.

Someone can correct this but...I think I read the med is best absorbed in the intestines.  So drinking it with a lot of water to get it there seems beneficial not only to get it out of the stomach quickly so it doesn't burn but to get it to the right place so it can start working.  (Don't know if that even makes sense; will have to look it up again).

Continued wellness to you,