Levothyroxine
Does anyone take Levothyroxine and if so, what do you think of it?  I have heard different things.  The doctor just got me started on meds and this is what he wrote.  
just checking on others thoughts.
thanks,
joyce
I am on Levothyroxine and have been for a little over two years.  I have only ever taken this med at this point for my thyroid so I have not comparison but I can tell you I've had no probs or side-effects.  
I have been on levo (haven't taken any of the others) for about 6 mos.  I just got my labs back yesterday and my antibody numbers have stabalized.  I feel good.  So far it's working for me :)
I was on Levo for about 9 months. I was OK at the beginning and then I start feeling tired, packing more weight. I hardly could do anything. I switched to Armour 4 days ago and even I am still adjusting to the dosage and can say I feel much better, more energy. I can finally do stuff.
I've been on it for about 3 weeks (.175), so far so good.
I go to the endo on Monday to check my numbers, hopefully all is well.
I know 3 weeks is way early, but I'm hoping that I continue to do well.
I just started this morning on Levothyroxine.  I'm still in isolation, but I'm feeling better already.  It could be psychological, but I'll take it.
I started on Levothyroxine on Thurs.  The jury is still out!
I have been on levothyroxine for 2 years and after tweaking it for awhile I finnalygot the right dosage. I feel pretty good, been loosing weight,

I think though I may have to get my dosage changed since I have lost from 214 of last fall to 187 as of today.
Got a doc appoin ment next month for tessts so we shall see.
Love Venora
I started the levothyroxine on Friday, 22nd and have had a touch of diarrhea since, beginning about 8 hours after starting it.  Today was the worse.  I called the dr and he changed me to Synthyroid.  

anyone taking that?  
I have been on it for 14 years and have no complaints.  I was on synthroid briefly when I was first diagnosed, but the doctors switched me to levothyroxine.  Either meds, no complaints.

I just had an endo appt.  last Friday and he did tell me something I did not know about generics (levothyroxine)... you need to make sure that each time you get a refill for the prescription that it is made by the same manufacturer.  Apparently, even though your prescription is for a specific dosage, each manufacturer's pills actually differ in dosage slightly.  So, maybe you were already told that, but since it sounds like you just started on it, I thought I would pass along the info.
Two months & counting.... i'm still working on getting the right dosage for myself. I'm currently on 50 mcg, and am not quite where I feel i ought to be at yet. I'll be going to the doc & endo in a few weeks, so this might show that I need to bump it up a bit. Aside from the typical thyroid-y things, i can't say that i've had any side effects from the euthyrox besides a periodic loss of appetite....which I don't consider a bad thing seeing as I'm trying to drop some weight!

Good luck!
I swear I've been on EVERYTHING except for Armour since my TT for cancer in Sept. '07.  

I started on a Levothyroxine and Cytomel combo and then switched to Synthroid only.  I had a more than a few sleepless nights on that combo of T3/T4.  I thought I "should" be on the name brand and "convert my own T4"...  

I HATED Synthroid only!  Bloating and arthritis (so bad I had trouble walking from the pain in my hip joint!)made me switch ASAP.  I went to Levoxyl and got a little better.  Never did Levothyroxine on it's own because I started to realize that *I* need the Cytomel.  I have since gone back to Levo and Cytomel with a switch up in ratio between the two based on MY needs.  

I like Levothyroxine the best and have (I think) finally found where I should be (pending lab confirmation...).  But having no thyroid, (I was never on replacement meds prior to TT), it is my feeling that you need a combo of T3 & T4.  And unless you are on Armour (natural pig thyroid hormone), the only way to accomplish that is to add Cytomel (T3) to your T4 replacement (Synthroid/Levoxyl/Levothyroxine/fill in the blank).

The only reason I've not tried Armour thus far is that pigs have a different ratio of T3 to T4 than humans.  With Cytomel you can change the amount of T3 based on "your body", rather than be "stuck" with a higher amount of T3 as a constant.  But hey, I do not deny that Armour does work for a LOT of people... They just may need a titch more T3 than I...
I have been on synthroid for a little over two months. Hasn't given me much energy, probably cuz its not the right dose. It takes time they say. I had some issues with my hair falling out the first month on it. I guess that's the side effect of the drug.  Some arthritis issues. Other than that. I feel pretty much the same.
Lot of times it isnt the thyroid hormone itself but the fillers they use that cause reactions like diareah and so forth.
being bi polar ,I went totaly manic on 125 mcg of synthroid. I changed my pharmacy and when I went to the levothyroxine we had to keep tweaking it till I got to 200 mcg and then I finally started to feel better.
Now between my head meds and the levo I feel REALLY good .
Vee
It's great to see the differences in the answers here. Again my point - we all are different so what works for some may be bad for another.

I was one of the "bad " cases on Synthroid and Levo - no conversion so I suffered.

Now even though I am on Armour now and feel really well, lately (EVERYONE GASP HERE!!!).........................

I may be thinking of going to the synthetic Thyrolar on a trail bases.  Yes I have been doing some more reading and YES I am optimal now - but I still have moments where I believe I can feel better.

I am scared of another change and really do not want to slip back to death as I was when Synthroid didn't work. BUT what credibility would I have with everyone when I say try other meds and not practice what I preach!  right?

So stay tuned ---- I haven't taken the plunge yet - but just thinking     :>0

At last! A no-conversion patient. Please look at this:I've been on levo one year. In May my FT3 was 2.56 (range 2.0-4.43) In three weeks in Sept my FT3 went down from 2.4 to 2.21 ) and FT4 went up from 1.81 to 2.0 (0.71-1.85). An endo, the first I've seen, was so unimpressed he upped my dose of Levo from 100 to 200. I even showed him a written note:' I'm swamped with T4. My FT3 is falling rapidly  Am I not converting?' After a week of 200 the dose dropped to 150. I see him again in ten days. What shall i do with him? heh
I remember this is very touchy with the heart issues. It very evident you are having Ft3 issues - but what to do? You are in a heart issue to.

I hate to be in this position - but have you looked into any supplements that may help you convert the T4 better - selenium?

Have you had liver testing to see if your filter is working at it's best?

I can't say T3 medication would be right for you - but yet T3 meds may help. I think this is where many doctors are stumped on how to treat and what actually will help you and also keep you out of cardiac emergencies...

Have you looked into anything holastic? or acupuncture? I have to say I have been exploring so much on this side of thyroid treatment and really I see so many patients that have benefited going that route in addition to staying in tune this their MD's . Recently I interviewed a certified wellness chiropractor in Kenosha Wisconsin. The information he and I talked about was amazing. I am in the process of meeting some of his testamonial patients and what I learned from that meeting was amazing.

I certainly can sure the Ipod casts he has out to the public... Let me know if you want to hear them.  
Ive been on Levo for six months, i personally have not had a problem with it so far..Dawn
TCH levels were 8.89.  Have been tired and sore maybe arthritis but doc gave me this thyroid med and when I take it I get soooosoooo tired.  Called and nurse said it takes a while to work but pharmacist said it should not do that so just stopped the med, still feel sluggish but not as bad as when I took the drug.  Thought most of my symptoms were menopause.  Had my thyroid checked several times last year and levels were 4.5, asked doc why and of course they don't know....Any one else get tired taking this med
hags
I started thyroxine/levothyroxine last August. Back then I was working and just thought I kept getting low level virus infections. At the end of October my health / energy levels and mental clarity all fell of a cliff and I have hardly worked since. (Thankfully my employer has been really good about allowing me time off to get well )My dose has been increased every 6-8wks on re=testing and I am now back at work on a phased return but not feeling 100% well yet. I am starting to wonder if perhaps the medicine may have actually caused my illness to worsen....my doc is still trying to work out what to do for the best. I see a specialist soon, so far it's just been my GP treating me and all they offer for hyporthyroidism is thyroxine medication.

I was under the impression thyroxine/levothyroxine and synthroid were all the same thing - T4  meds. Am I missing someething?

No - they are all the same... just those are not the only forms of treatment with medicine for low thyroid.
I'm assuming that you live in the States? If you live in the UK, how did you pursuade your GP to prescribe Armour for your thyroid problem? I have begged my doctor in the past to prescribe Armour for me but he said they do not use it in the UK. It's frustrating, because I feel that Levothyroxine does not suit me. I have been taking 100mcg for 15 years and it hasn't really eased my symptoms. My latest blood test shows that I have been taking too much Thyroxine, and I've been getting hyperthyroid symptoms so my dose has been reduced to 75mcg. Does anyone know of a UK doctor who prescribes Armour, or a similar natural Thyroid medication?
This is a very old thread and none of posters have participated in the forum for some time, so I'm sure they won't respond.  anca77's profile says she's from New Jersey - USA.

We have a few members from UK and I don't believe any of them are on Armour.  We find that it's very hard to get anything with a T3 component in UK, due to NHS guidelines. Most people who get a T3 medication, have to either go private or get their doctor to go through special procedures to prove necessity.
I dont no of any doctor in the uk thats give you armor if you find out let me no please i also live in uk london and have not got on with levoth i stared at 25mg and have been up for 3yrs and my doctor says my levals are fine now on 125mg but as i said i dont feel fine most days its a nightmare i just keep going back and ask for more test untill i find my answers i wont stop good luck with finding a good doc