Link between Diabetes & Thyroid
Hi All it's Lorraine
Volunteered to help in a Health Fair and had a health check myself. Got a big shock that my blood sugar's are
up 7.50 and was advised to go to the Dr's to have blood's done, as if it isn't bad enough having thyroid worried
about diabetes now!!
Now wondering whether this skin condition, and tingeling in hand's and weight loss is due to this also the tiredness.
If it's not one thing it's another.
Love
Lorraine xx
What type of test did they do on you?  Was it an A1c @ 7.50?  If so, then yes, that's high and it means that your blood sugar over the past 3 months have been averaging higher than they should.  

If you have type I diabetes (also known as juvenile diabetes), that's autoimmune and with one autoimmune, it's possible to get more.  Type II diabetes (also known as "adult onset diabetes") is not autoimmune.  My son & his son both have type I diabetes.  

Type II diabetes often runs in families (I'm waiting for the dx). Risk factors include: High blood pressure; High blood triglyceride (fat) levels; Gestational diabetes or giving birth to a baby weighing more than 9 pounds;  High-fat diet;  High alcohol intake; Sedentary lifestyle;  Obesity or being overweight.  

I'd say your skin condition would most likely be due to the thyroid issues. Tingling in hands/feet is often connected with pernicious anemia (another autoimmune); however the weight loss could be a "toss up".. I've known people with diabetes who lost a lot of weight and others who couldn't lose it for anything; so that could also be related to thyroid.  

At any rate, your doctor will most likely send you for a glucose tolerance test, in which you will be asked to drink some horrifically awful orange syrup, at certain intervals, then they will check your blood sugar levels at other certain intervals...

Often you can control adult diabetes with diet and exercise; otherwise there are oral drugs that you can take.

It's one more "bump in the road" but can be overcome.

BTW -- when was the last time you had your thyroid levels tested, and what were the results?  Post them if you can, along with the reference ranges from your lab report.