Thyroid Disorders Community
Link between Iodine allergy and Hypothyroid?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Link between Iodine allergy and Hypothyroid?

I'm allergic to iodine.  (I found out durning knee surgery, in which betadine was used on my leg and I broke out in a rash.)  I can't touch shellfish because my hands swell.
I'm wondering if there could be a link to the way I'm feeling (I believe to be hypothyroid) and my allergy to iodine?
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Allergic to iodine could be a possibility if autoimmune thyroid, either Graves' or Hashi.  I believe its more a immune response.  I am treated Hyper/Graves'/Hypo/Hashi, years after treatment I thought I could go back to using iodize salt or sea/vegetable salt again, but when I used it, my bottom lip swelled and pulsated like mad.  Sometimes when I get it in foods, like when eating out (a lot of processed food too, but I try not to eat processed) my heart will beat hard and fast with pulse going 120 bpm or higher, which only last for a few hours. I try to learn these foods or restaurants and avoid them. I also have rashes with dyes and colorings and avoid them as well. I am always reading labels for ingrediences.

I don't know if this answered your question.
Blank
341063_tn?1195716315
Thank you for your response.  I asked the med student who is interning at my doc's office if my iodine allergy could be linked (after I posted this) and he said that it's a different mollecular structure.  He asked if iodized salt seems to bother me, and I told him no.  He said it's because of the different structure.
I still sort of wonder though....... ;)
Blank
I am hypothyroid and on medication. I also have a sensativity to iodine. I live with chronic hives. any recommendations what I can take for my thyroid so I will quit living with hives?
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...