Thyroid Disorders Community
Link between Thyroid and IBS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Link between Thyroid and IBS

Can being hyper cause IBS and gastritis?  My thyroid problems came togather with IBS,gastritis and weight loss.
I have hashi's and had a bout with hyperthyroid.  While I was hyper I developed IBS.   I think the stress your body is going through precipitates it.  I hope you start feeling better.  As much as I hate feeling hypo, hyperthyroid was just about the worst experience in my whole life.
I don't know that hyper "causes" IBS or gastritis, but many people with thyroid problems have them.  Weight loss is a classic symptom of being hyper.  

Are you on any medication for your hyperthyroidism?
Hi Barb, yes i just started medication.  It took the doctors 5 years before diagnosing me.  I have lost a lot of weight.
Wow, that's a long time to take for diagnosis.  Why did it take that long?  

Once you get stabilized on the medication, it's possible that some of your symptoms will be alleviated.  

When I was hyper and before it showed up on tests I had diahrrea almost daily. It was awful. I am now hypo and I no longer have that paticular problem. I also eliminated gluten and that has really helped my stomach problems.
Yes,  5 years, looks like they just overlooked it.  They were concentrating more on my GI problems and just told me it's IBS, but none of the specialists could tell me why all the weight loss.  Anyway, i am glad i am on medication now, hopefully i will recover soon.  I know it takes a bit of time for the thyroid to get in balance.  Hope for the best.  Thank you all for the info. Really appreaciate it.