Thyroid Disorders Community
Liquid diet after surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Liquid diet after surgery

For those of you who have been through a total thyroidectomy, I know that you fast from midnight on, and then they said it's a liquid diet the next day. I am prediabetic and have reactive hypoglycemia, and it's bad so I need to eat every 2 hrs. or so. (very difficult for me to fast) I don't eat any sugar or artificial sweetners. I have some low glycemic fruit, but fruit juices are too full of sugar. What type of liquids do they give you? I am wondering if I can bring in my own protein drinks? Do hospitals have lactose-free milk? I'm lactose intolerant.
If anyone recalls what they gave to you on that liquid diet day, please share that with me. I would really appreciate it.
Thanks! :~) Deb1023
I had a tt last june. I didn't eat after midnight on the day before. I got up the next morning....no water, coffee or anything. I did take one pill in the morning with one swallow of water and that was ok. My surgery was at 11:00 a.m. After surgery when I woke, I could have anything I wanted...pop, water...whatever. Then at five they brought supper. I was kind of out of it and  didnt eat much, but it was a hamburger, fries, a salad and jello. I didnt have a liquid diet at all. That's just my experience if it helps.
Hi Deb,

I just had a total thyroidectomy on Tuesday afternoon. Yes, no food after midnight and then nothing to drink after 10am (my surgery was at 3pm). After surgery my doctor ordered morphine for pain, which did NOT help and also gave me a bad headache and also gave me nausea. The first 12 hours after surgery were not pleasant for me at all. (Just being honest!) I threw up only once--but I had nausea for about 10 hours after surgery (anesthesia and morphine). Of course my throat was killing me so I could not swallow anything for a while.  Percocet works good for me for pain without nausea.

After my doc came in the morning I was put on liquids--the hospital had a liquid only menu which included lactose and gluten free things, including soups, smoothies, sorbet, jello, puddings, yogurt, etc. I'm sure you can bring your own stuff. I was allowed to eat my own stuff if I wanted.  The first thing they gave me to chew was the Tums for the calcium. By 2pm Wednesday the nausea was gone and I was hungry (had not eaten anything since midnight on Monday). I ate some jello and pudding, then later some cottage cheese and melon and I was ok with that, still somewhat painful to swallow. My very nice nurse cut up my pills into fourths so I could swallow them.

In the afternoon got up and walked a few times, then rested. I had a yogurt for a snack, then salad and sorbet for dinner, The sorbet felt so good on my throat. I had my husband buy me the Hagen Daaz Raspberry sorbet when we got home.

Be careful of water!! I choked and coughed on the water a lot the first day, thicker liquids work much better. It's been 4 days now and the water is still somewhat hard to drink (and I usually drink at least 2 liters of water a day).

The hospital should have lactose free stuff, but tell them when they do your pre-op interview and tell them you have your own things. Honestly your body will have gone through a lot and you might not even feel like eating. Hopefully you don't get the nausea like I did, no fun to throw up with these stitches!!

Good luck to you. :)

Sandra

With your type of condition it would be wise to call up the hospital and order in the lactose free milk. You would also need to tell them of your pre-diabetic condition. The dietician in the hospital would be the best person to talk to. You should be able to take your own protein drinks. Again just ask!
  I had to do that as I am gluten intolerant. By ringing in advance it gives enough time for the hospital to arrange specific liquids and food for you. I would tell each and every nurse or administrator you see as you go through all the pre-admission then pre-op checks, just to be doubly sure, that you have pre-arranged it all, and to make sure it is noted.
  Good luck!