Thyroid Disorders Community
Lobectomy Recovery...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Lobectomy Recovery...

Just wanted to ask if its normal to feel sore / swollen in the neck / throat area 3.5 days post op?  

You know what hurts the most? Crying! I can't cry without feeling enormous pain!  And I need my crying!!!  It keeps me sane.  I feel so much better after a good cry!

Oh dear - I think I've lost my mind with my left thyroid lobe!!!

Hey lady -  I'm also 3.5 days post-op and sore, too.  I'm not very swollen, but it is sore. Swallowing, coughing, and yawning are super painful... laughing and blowing my nose are also not fun. It seems to ease up some each day, so that is good.  

I'm betting you'll find most people here will say the same  -- it is normal to be sore after surgery on such a delicate area!  
Yes it is normal to feel sore after 3.5 days post-op. I also felt a tight feeling around the surgery area and still feel it now to a lesser degree.  I am 16 days post-op and I am still a little swollen and the area around my incision is numb also. After having said all that I can tell you that with each day you will feel better and better.
Whatever you do, AVOID SNEEZING at all costs!

I'm only two weeks out (wow, time flew!), and my throat feels much better. Well, the muscles feel better at least. I spent a little too much time singing last night, and now I'm a bit hoarse. No one to blame but myself!

- viv
Oh, almost forgot, is it just a coincidence that "lobectomy" and "lobotomy" look and sound so similar? Maybe you really did lose your mind! :))
I sneezed last night! And I'll tell you, I'd rather give birth to my 4.08kg (9lbs ?) first born again with no epidural than sneeze after a thyroid lobectomy!!!!

I actually started crying immediately, and that !@#$% hurt too!

This is tough...
I am 9 days postop and still swelled and still feel like I have something pulling when I swallow. The redness has subsided, though.  I can yawn now....it was a friggin chore for sure the first while.   I am still completely numb on the on/around the incision site.  Each day is just getting better and better.  My hubby tells me that it seems like everyday after I shower, I get better!! lol  I am still awaiting to hear back from about my pathology though!!
Ice, ice, ice baby, ice (sorry, just had a bad flash-back to the 90s)

Really, put ice packs on your neck (over the incision) - it will reduce the swelling and soreness.

Sneezing is the VERY worst.   So is turning your head quickly to back your car up.

If you keep feeling so down, consider talking to your doctor about depression.  It's *VERY* common for us thyroid patients.  Thyroid hormones can really mess up our brain chemistry.

hang in there!

Utahmomma
(had the surgery twice . . . slow learner i guess)
It's been 2 weeks since my right thyroid lobectomy.  I still can't drink without choking which hurts.  I can take small sips, put my chin down, then swallow carefully.  Weird.  I can eat O.K. food without choking.
The swelling is all down so the incision doesn't look as bad as it did initially.  It's shrunk with the swelling.
It was nice to hear someone mention depression.  I think it comes from being tired.  It's hard to focus on mental work.  I went to whole foods and asked for advise.  I'm taking a kelp pill every day and just started taking sibergin.  Sibergin is supposed to give you natural energy.  The lady that helped me said it takes about a week to kick in.  I am hopeful that it will kick in soon; I've been taking it for 3 days.  Can't wait to have energy back.
Any other comments on balancing out the system I am open to hear.
Thanks.
My Endo wants to remove my whole thyroid. I am fearful. I have nodules,goiter, and hypothyroidism. When you mention you feel better,....is this from the surgery only or the thyroid also?? Do you start your synthroid immediately?

Hope you all feel better. I may be in your boat soon.

I am paddling backwards!!! LOL
Sneezing, coughing, and laughing .. add those to the list.

You have tons of internal stitches so this is very normal .. they take up to 6 weeks to disolve and heal.  Although it may not seem it, it's major surgery.

Feel better and let us know how you're doing!

C~

Partial 1/07
Although it seems like major surgery, it isn't. Major surgery is only when it's in the abdominal cavity,ask your ENT and they will confirm this statement. I had a left thyroid lobectomy 5 months ago. I have tenderness at times (very rarely) and some numbness in the area of the incision which is very normal. I had all the same symptoms as all of you.I am a professional singer and haven't lost any of my vocal capabilities. I did do vocal therapy with a trained vocal teacher immediately after surgery and had my voice back to normal strength after about a month and a half. It gets better and better every day so hang in there and be patient. everything will be ok. If you're not sure, your ENT is always there to answer any questions you might have. It's there job. Hope this helps, take care
I had a biopsy done and the results showed suspicous? My surgeon said it showed follicular cells. So I have to go in and have my left lobe removed and maybe my right. I don't know if anyone else has gotten these results just wondering what are my chanced of not having both sides removed. I'm nervous about haveing my neck cut on, but the doc said it had to come out. Just wondering if anyone could tell me their story if the've been through this. It may help me....

I had my right thyroid removed about 3 yrs agao and I was swolledn for about 3 weeks or so. I am fixing to have my left done now. The reovocery is long but not as bad as I thought it would be.
I am 5 days post op.  I had my left thyroid removed - multinodular goitre.  Things are progressing slowly - i still cannot sneeze or cough to any great extent but I am eating.  I am due to go for post-op visit next week.  I am really glad it is out and just waiting for the pathology results.  Hoping all is well.   To anyone who needs to do this surgery, best thing is to have it out.  I had a wonderful team of doctors and nurses.  God bless you all
I am actually in the hospital as we speak.... about 21 hrs post op, and about 7  hrs from discharge- I still havent seen the doc or even had my drain removed nor have i seen my incision, which i am greatly anticipating! I had my right lobe removed, due to hyperthyroidism, and a very large but non cancerous nodule. The darn thing is sore and I am eating percocet around every 4 hrs, along with a little stadol here and there. But so far for me, swallowing hurts, there is alot of redness, and its very sore. Coughing hurts too but they are makin me refrain from that beacuse it casues the wound to stretch. But this is my story, i have had alot of questions answered from you all and hope someone has gained some insight from me.. good luck to everyone!
I am two weeks post op of a left lobectomy and I have a very little soreness but it is tender and numb at the incision. I am still very raspy in my speak and cannot attend any functions where I need to speak over anyone or anything. This is the most frustrating part since at work I talk all the time on the phone.  I am going to the doctor tomorrow for follow up visit. Found I have a shortness of breath as well but hopefully he will have some answers tomorrow.
I did you ever find out about your shortness of breath? I am currently two weeks post-op and experiencing SOB. Just curious of what may be causing it.
I had my TT (total thyroidectomy) Dec 3, so I'm on day 9 (day 10 if ya count the day of the surgery). I feel ~great~ in both the surgery and thyroid.  I was on synthroid before the TT (25mg) and was increased to (50mg) the day after surgery. I am taking percocet, only one at bedtime now. I'm not sure I have any internal stitches (everything was burned off with a ?laser?). I did have one stitch for the drainage tube, which was gone and stitched up before I awoke (it was removed last Thursday and is already healed and no scab on it). I do still have a little tightness while swallowing..but it is ~much~ better than before the TT. I would look online to check out your surgeon's credentials, and ask as many questions as you can. One tip my surgeon told me and I haven't read here is: keep at a 30 degree incline while sleeping, and keep your chin down until day 11 (tomorrow for me, WOOT), so you wont have "a ugly scar", and don't "exercise" your neck...~NO~ looking up until day 11!!!! Keep chin down like you are reading a book, on day 5 I was told I could turn my head side to side "gently", ear to shoulder and chin to shoulder..if this makes sense.

Oh, and my Endo didn't do my surgery...he referred me to a ENT specialist..who has ~excellent~ credentials! I guess the surgery depends on how the thyroid is when they get in there...I've read that some thyroid glands can be a sticky mushy mess. :/
7 days on shortness of breath subsiding. partial left lobectomy .. was not on thyroxin prior to op/  we will see if i need it now.  im tired lots but its only been 7 days so im optomisitc.  looking up hurts stabbing feeling in area inside near incision.  incision is great small a bit tender . i will try putting ice on it tomorrow.  i find looking up difficult and am  very stiff around the neck only have a little movement left and right.   physiotherapist said to keep moving it left and right slowly throughout the day.  i have noted some improvement.  I have been very hungry constantly eating since day 1.. admttedly i have only eat pureed or light foods to date.  swollowing is ok today but ive had probelems with my teeth also hence the pureed diet.   i was  not tole to keep looking down but that seems to come natural at the moment.  it hurts to look up. .. i am worried that ill end up with thyroxin issues and be tearful etc but ill deal with it.   for all of us worryers lets i hope we can stop catastrophising.  and i at least will accept whatever happens as at least if it is cancer then ive done all i can to ensure its been checked.   ...tired and not motivated enogh to correct my spelling mistakes im afraid.  so im off to bed... good luck and take care xx
A major surgery is any surgery in which the patient must be put under general anesthesia and given respiratory assistance because he or she cannot breathe independently and a minor surgery does not involve anesthesia or a respirator. So, a thyroidectomy is considered a major surgery and a mole removal is an example of a minor surgery.
hi guy's , i'm now 11 day's post surgery . thankfully everything went according to plan and i was out of the hospital within a day . mind you it did take me from 6am saying can i go home now ,can i go home now, can i go home now ??? i was finally released at 5pm !!
recovery was fine , pain was ok , nothing major , took paracetamol . the odd ponstan . i'm not sure what the equivelant is in u.s as i'm in ireland ,
i'm still very swollen , and have a bit of tightness turning left .
the coughing you've all mentioned .... lol i read this forum before i went into hosp and i'd like to say thank you to all who've posted .. but reading about the coughing i kinda thought how could they all have caught a cold after the op ???
then i started coughing , oh sweet divinity !! pain !! and i've had two natural labours , takes a bit of getting used to , considering you don't have a wee smiling face at the end of it .. !
but the consultant said it comes with the op and was my lungs clearing out from having to breath with the tube and it's the body's way of stopping you getting pneaumonia .
have i felt any different since the op? yes !!!
for all of you hypo's out there . that feeling of my body filled with lead and not being able to function  IS GONE!!! i'm still tired , but have bursts of energy , so my tsh is prob lowered because of the op . but i feel so much better already . my 9 yr old said "i'm getting old mummy back ! can we go to the beach ? " bless him . my 5 month old knows no different lol .
i'm back to the hosp on tuesday for the biopsy results so keep ur fingers crossed , i'll let u know . good luck to anyone going i for an op .
to those who are reading and not posting , please post , trying to get info on the surgery n post op is hard . this site was fantastic for me before i went in , which is why i've come back to post ..
mind you m mia x
how did any of you feel who were waiting on results? coz i'm eh well ******** myself !!! putting on a brave face for all those around me who are worried , but i know on here i can just say "i'm ******** myself ". if that offends people i'm sorry , but i had to say it kinda out loud lol ...
it's like i have to be strong for them in some way , i dunno it's weird . maybe it's just me !!!???
i'm quite a private person  anyway , but i let my friends in , yet even now i'm still putting on the happy smilie .... but i still hide it from most . i think what's the point in worrying about it till u know ! n that's been my philosophy till now .
but now is tomorrow ! ........ n i'm not ashamed to say i'm scared .. either way i'll deal with it head on , like i've done all my life . sure there's a glen campbell song about me out there somewhere !!!! lol ..
This is a very old thread and you are unlikely to get a response from the previous posters; I don't think I've seen any of them on here in a very long time.  

You might like to start your own thread and see what response you get from some currently participating in forum activity.  
I had surgery on Oct 3rd.. I got a left lobectomy, I had a goiter that was pressing against my trachea. I was having choking sensations, problems breathing and going to sleep at night.

*My Ultrasound read a goiter with multiple cyst around it..
* My Nuclear Scan read a cold nodule on my left side
* My biopsy was benign
***removal came about because goiter can cause airway obstructor***

.I couldn't talk for those first two days...Now my voice is clear....

The only pain that I am experiencing is chest pain, stiff neck and a little tense when trying to turn my head right or left.

I am on medication every 4 to 6 hours for pain in which I do take...

I was on a clear liquid diet in the hospital, now I've advanced to eating grits, mash potatoes and foods of that sort..Foods that are easy to slide down the throat.

My chest hurts from the tube that was put into my airway while asleep...I have flim in my chest so when I cough I make sure I cough up the flim so that I won't get pneumonia or anything of that sort.

It does hurt when I cough so I just hold my throat where the incision is...It feels funny when I laugh so I try not to do that...

I try not to talk as much cause it feels like I'm losing my breath...

-The drs and nurse aid and assistance I had were very nice....It was almost like none of this happened. The drugs they administered were great cause I was SUPER relaxed off the Demerol... I can remember them pulling the lube out right before I woke up but I couldn't feel it...

Overall Everything went great and I am now recovering well...

I have been dealing with hyperthyroid issues for 10 years. I developd vitiligo and a small nodule on the right side of my thyroid. January of this year I became ill and thought I had a respitory infection, which I get yearly. I was hoarse for about a month and then the nodule on my right side became very enlarged. I called my doctor with an appointmenrt a week later. During my appointment the PA increased my thyroid medicine and put in a referral for ultra sound. I went in a week later for the ultrasound and then had to wait three weeks to receive results. I called everyday after the first week for the results. Once the results it took an other two weeks to see the Surgeon. Needless to say on April 5th I finally had my surgery to remove the nodule and right thyroid. I had yet to receive my voice back and hope that with time it will return. It have been two weeks since surgery and still have many issues swallowing. It feels as if I have a large cotton ball stuck in my throat. Did anyone have that same feeling? If you lost your voice prior to surgery how long did it take to come back.

DK
This is a very old thread, and I don't think any of the posters are even participating in the forum any longer.  It might be better if you start a new thread, with your own information and questions, and hopefully, some participating members will see it and respond.  

You can start a new thread, by clicking on the orange "Post a Question" button at the top of this page and you will get a blank form to type in your own issues. When done, just hit the green "Post a Comment" button under your question.
the same story now with me ,,after FNA they found follecular cells and the doctor asked me to remove the right lobe or they may remove it all ,,i wana asked if there is any alternative for that ,,and wat happened with u now,thanx
I'm due to have my left thyroid lobe removed in a month, I'm extremely nervous. I've been through major surgeries before and never had this much anxiety. It's probably due to it being so close to my face. Any suggestions or feedback on how to prepare for the recovery. How would you rate the pain?
I had my left thyroid removed a week ago.  It wasn't bad at all.  I had a sore neck in back and a headache before the surgery.  Several hours after surgery it reappeared.  That was worse than my throat!  They had me sleep at a 30 degree angle the first night and put an ice pack on the front.  I had a hot pack on my back of neck.  Stopped the pain mess the day after surgery.  I am waiting to hear the final pathology report.  The one on the table was benign.  Keep positive Nd you will be ok.  The worry was the worst!!!!!!
Hi, it's natural to be nervous prior to any surgery, we do not know what to expect.  I had a TT done in Feb, and to my surprise, all went smoothly.  I stayed in hospital for 3 day's, and slept nearly the entire time thanx to pain meds, which did a fabulous job keeping pain at zero level.  I honestly do not remember any pain at all, just soreness for a few day's.  

Hospital staff was wonderful to me, which made surgery a wonderful exprience.  

Your going to be fine, wishing you well for surgery and speedy recovery.  
My son had a partial thyroid lobectomy on the left side and unable to talk after about 6 days. Is this normal???
Any trouble with your voice??
I was diagnosed w/  Hashimotos via ultrasound after being hypo in 2003 and prescribed synthroid then supposedly no need for meds, skip forward 7 yrs I have a goiter with 2 nodules on right side but all levels are normal. We did ultrasounds yearly and a fine needle aspiration biopsy which came back benign. But I continued to be a zombie I counld not stay awake during the day  nor sleep at night, continous weight gain,my whiteblood cell count was elevated for nearly 2 yrs. We tried everything and my dr sent me to and Endo who took one look at it and said its coming out.  I am 11 days postop (7/18) of a right lobectomy & Isthmusectomy. My voice is still a little cracky if I try to yell but other than that its fine. My pain is fine unless I sneeze and then I see stars! I have had one nap in a week which is really good for me.
It's been 3 weeks since the surgery...I feel no pain the scar is almost gone but being a musician I still don't have full control of my voice, but I'm grateful to God that it's healing quickly...I'm taking it easy on the mic!