Thyroid Disorders Community
Losing eyebrow hair on one side only.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Losing eyebrow hair on one side only.

Is it possible to lose hair only in one eyebrow with hypothyroidism?  I have no idea if I'm hypo, my TSH level was normal and my doc won't run further tests. I've had multiple symptoms such as tongue swelling and coating, throat clearing and hoarseness, feeling of a lump in my throat, joint aches, irregular menstrual cycles, anxiety and started having panic attacks a little over 2 years ago.  Now I've noticed the hair on my left eyebrow is falling out (or is thinner anyway) on the outer edge, but the right side seems normal.  I've NEVER plucked my eyebrows, and they've always been a little on the bushy side, but now the left one is really thin on the outer side.
Maybe you sleep on your left side?

Tongue swelling and coating, throat clearing and hoarseness, menstrual cycles, and panic attacks are not symptoms of thyroid problems. Your THS is "normal". Hair loss in one specific spot would be considered not a normal symptom.

Sounds like maybe something else is going on, maybe two or three things. Hope you get things figured out.
Are you a doctor, cause you sound like mine!  I've done quite a bit of research on this and yes, irregular menstrual cycles, hoarseness, tongue swelling and anxiety/panic problems CAN be caused by thyroid problems. Also, a normal TSH does not mean there is not a thyroid problem.

I really doubt I have two or three things going on wrong with me.
I certainly am not a doctor and I did not mean to be dismissive.

Of all the symptoms you listed, anxiety and joint pain are the only flags I see, unless you are talking about someone severely ill with an untreated thyroid condition. A tsh that is normal is also possible if the person is transitioning from Hypo to Hyper, or the reverse. But if that were the case you would be listing more symptoms and be ill.

Go to another doctor and ask for a full thyroid panel and ask if an ultra sound of the thyroid would be warranted concerning the lump.

If you had TSH, free T3, and free T4 test numbers for the last few months showing some sort of trend that would be one thing, but I wouldn't assume you have thyroid problems from the information you have provided.

You might, but it could be several other things. Losing hair on part of one eyebrow is not a reason to suspect thyroid disease.

I hope you figure it out. Sometimes it takes more than one doctor to get the problem solved.
You are misinformed if you think that a normal TSH can mean a thyroid problem, unless a nodule or thyroid cancer.  TSH is the prevailing diagnose of hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism. TSH with FT-4 and  FT-3 is the prevailing diagnose for autoimmune/antibodies or other thyroid issues and
non-thyroid issues. But when they are normal there is no thyroid condition, unless nodule or thyroid cancer. The lump in your throat should be checked for nodules or thyroid cancer, in which I would suggest having doctor palpitate your thyroid and if doctor feels nodule he'll order the proper test to verify both nodule and/or thyroid cancer. OR you can take the neck test as follows:  
Hold a mirror in front of the area of the neck where the thyroid gland is located. This area is just below the Adam's apple and right above the collarbone. (Note: The Adam's apple is not the thyroid location.)
Tip the head back.
Take a drink of water and swallow, watching the neck during the process.
Check for any bulging or protrusions. Reminder: Don't confuse the Adam's apple with the thyroid gland. The thyroid gland is located further down on your neck, closer to the collarbone. You may want to repeat this process several times.
If any is detected, call a physician for a check up.

How do you know your symptoms are thyroid.  Thyroid symptoms are so non-specific.  In other words, a lot of other health conditions have the same symptoms as thyroid, it is very difficult to distinguish where the symptoms are coming from or which health conditions are the cause.  Doctor would have to eliminate conditions through their appropriate test. This is a long a tedious process but will worth it in the end when you find out the causes and get properly treated.

If your TSH level was above 10 with symptoms or below 0.1, then it would suggest thyroid.  Per AACE 2006 amended guidelines,  the US Government 2004 Guidelines and UK 2006 Guidelines.

Don't worry about just the one eyebrow, the other one will probably catch up.

Oh, and by the way, I'm not a doctor either.
How interesting to find this, I wonder if you got any answers cause I too am loosing eyebrow hairs on the left side only for .5 year now.
Hi I sympathise with you i have lost my right eyebrow all together it started itching and gradually disapeared i feel realley odd my eyebrows are fair but its still very noticable . My eye looks swollen and the skin on the lid has started to droop over my eyelashes . I was interested to read all the comments ,and will go and have some tests done again at the Docters the last time it was my hair falling out but i was told my thyroid was ok.My hair has continually fell out and is very thin at the front and always itching (no nits ) I hope this time i might get an answer. Thanks sylvihop.
For about a month or so, I am experiencing the same problem as you have on the eye brown. My left side is also disappearing quickly. Can you advice if you have found any solution to this problem? Any advise is very much appreciated.

Tks.

Hi, i have the exact same symptoms you have, i noticed yesterday my eye has drooped over my eyelash. constant itching and hairloss on my left eyebrow. Doctor put me on hydrocortisone cream, soothed the itching but you can only use for a week maximum, now my eyebrow had started to itch again. I have booked another doctor appointment and want to get thyroid tested and what not. Did you ever get to the bottom of your problem????