Thyroid Disorders Community
Loss of voice...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Loss of voice...

Friday I had the right side lobe and a kiwi sized nodule located below my sternum removed. Still waiting on path report but surgeon said looked like Hashimoto. The procedure took 4 hours and was complicated. Today I still do not have a voice. Carrying on a conversation is tiresome and only works when someone is within 5 - 10 feet. I have also become extremely sensitive to smells and taste. Perfume, lotion, and some foods are so strong smelling I can hardly stand it. Prior to surgery I used lots of black pepper and sauces on all of my food. Now a dash of seasoning salt is more than enough. I'm a 43 year old male, are these changes normal?

Medication prescribed - Levothyroxine .025mg and 3 tums per day for calcium.
Did the surgeon explain to you about the recurrent laryngeal nerve that runs through the neck area before your surgery?  If not, do a google search on it.  There is always a chance that there can be damage done to this, especially with thyroid surgery.  I had a total thyroidectomy done on 8/6/07.  When I left the hospital, my voice was barely a whisper, I couldn't swallow any liquids without choking and was having trouble breathing.  It was all due to "trauma" to this nerve.  They sent me to the ENT doc before I left the hospital, and neither one of my vocal cords were moving.  When I went for my follow up two weeks later, the left side was moving, but the right was not.  They said that nerve damage can take a long time to repair - weeks or possibly months.  My voice would come and go, and it was very scary!  It's been back for a few weeks now, and seems to be getting stronger, although it's still not great.  I still have trouble swallowing liquids, but have learned to swallow differently to help it.  Which means that swallowing isn't something that I don't think about anymore - if I forget, I choke.  Breathing is getting much better, so I think I'm on the mend.  As far as being sensitive to smells and taste, the one thing I noticed is spicy food is WAY spicy now.  I'm a hot sauce freak, and it just seems like it's spicier now.

I hope that helped!!

Lori