Thyroid Disorders Community
Low BBT and synthroid doses

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Low BBT and synthroid doses

I had my thyroid removed in July because of multiple nodules and cysts and possible cancer, it wasn't cancer we found after the surgery. Anyway, I was on 125 of synthroid after the surgery, then 150, then 137, and now back to 125.
The problem is we are trying to conceive and I am doing the basal body temperatures to chart my cycles. Last cycle, when I was switching from 150 down to 137 I clearly ovulated and my temps were fairly normal, there was a thermal shift. This cycle when I was switching from 137 to 125 my temps were low accross the board, with 97.70 being the highest and 97.20 being the lowest, most are around 97.50. I read that low BBT can be a result of hypothyroidism.
My question is, if my temps were better on the higher dose then why are my blood tests showing that I need a lower does? It seems we are going in the opposite direction.
I have seen that if your TSH is to low you need to lower the dose, but that is hyperthyroidism, and that isn't what causes low temps.
Is it different when the body has no thyroid and is totally relying on synthroid? Is it then the opposite where you lower the dose if you are hypo instead of hyper? Please explain.
hi,
you need to tell us your test results, and the reference ranges.  have you tested ft3 and ft4? just testing tsh is not good enough for adjusting meds.
Well my doctor never tells me my numbers and I never ask since I am driving when she calls me most times, I was planning on calling her office tomorrow and having them mail them to me and tell me over the phone.
I just want to know though if the whole thyroid is removed and you are souly relied on synthroid then is it different to where if it is too high you lower the dose. It seems she has said mine is too high. From what I am reading it doesn't make since, she should be upping it if it is too high right?
Ok I got my results and my TSH was only 0.024 so that is why she is decreasing my dose of synthroid. My T4 was fine at a 1.70 and VItamin D was low but they didn't test my T3 or anything else.
My basal body temps have gone up recently, but still not as high as prior months. It doesn't make since that if I was hyperthyroid why I was having hypothyroid symptoms and low temps.
I was fatigued and dry itchy skin, I am not as fatigued now and my temps are going up.
I don't get it.
BUMP

Does anyone know why my body temps would be low if I am hyperthyroid I thought that was a hypo symptom.
Also, my doctor is only checking TSH and T4, nothing else. Is that ok?
I am just concerned with this, I need to get this in order so I can get pregnant! We are trying hard- LOL