Thyroid Disorders Community
Low Iodine Diet

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Low Iodine Diet

I am preparing for 2 wk no dairy-low iodine diet.  Have just discovered Coconut Milk  non dairy/non soy
Has anyone used this on the diet?  It would be easier than blending almonds and water.  Also any suggestions for a bread substitute outside of homemade?
I'm not familiar with the low iodine diet, but I eat a non-inflammatory diet which recommends coconut milk.  The only downside I know of is, coconut milk is packaged in cans, and most cans these days have been proven to contain/leach biosphenol-a.  I have a recipe for coconut milk though, which is easier than almond milk..  (although I do make fresh almond milk every 2-3 days)  

1 cup dried unsweetened coconut (Bobs Red Mill is one)
4 cups warm pure water

Soak for 15 minutes.  Strain through fine strainer.  

I make my own gluten/sugar/dairy free bread, but I think the brand Food For Life (freezer) might have one?  Friends of mine also highly recommend  www dot grindstonebakery ******* .
Hi, I'm new to all this, but I wanted to tell you about a bread I use.

its call   EZEKIEL 4:9

Its is made from Freshly sprouted organically grown live grain, contains no flour, it release all the vital nutrients  stored in whole grain . its low glycemic, i think food for life makes it.

I get in the frozen goods, in the healthy eating at Krogers.

I love the tast.
I will look for this because it sounds healthy.

However, it isn't the flour that I need to avoid in preparation for my scan. It is iodine and dairy.
Thanks.   I probably will make my own because it is the dairy and iodine I have to omit for 2 weeks.

I saw coconut milk in cardboard containers same as soy milk.  That would be perfect for my diet if I can determine there is no iodine.
Hi Patricia, I found this site a couple of years ago when I had to go on the low iodine diet to prepare for the RAI I-131 pill. And found it to be very helpful. ThyCa.org
Has reciepts and lots of info.
Good luck!
Margie
Thanks.  I did find this website and have been happy with some of their bread recipes.  Just trying to find the lazy way out.
Call your local bakeries and ask them if they have a bread made with no iodine. I did that and lucked out and found a great bakery that did. If they are family owned and make it fresh sometimes they don't use anything with iodine.  It's worth a few phone calls. It saved me!
Bread is the thing I missed the most, while on this diet, and after three or four days I was too foggy and tired I just ate what was easiest. Looks like I will have to have the radation pill again, this time I will call the bakery, and plan my food better.
The coconut milk In the dairy section has carageenan in it so you can't use it. Don't know about canned.  I made the mistake of buying two quarts of it that I can't use because I noticed it was salt and soy free, which sold me. After I drank it I noticed the carageenan on the ingredient list.
Actually, looking at the powdered non dairy creamer that they told me I could use, it also has carageenan!  Well anyways likexthey daid its a low iodine diet, not iodine free. Egads. I may have to try the hemp milk!
I don't know if almond or rice milk have the iodine in them or not, but there is one other thing that might be of help here.  I found out that people with type "O" blood should not use coconut or palm anything, even the healthy extra virgin kind.  I also found out that dairy isn't really good for type "O" people either.  I don't know if this has anything to do with helping out the thyroid, but sticking to the things I know help with type "O" seems to help me over all.  The book I've been reading suggests that people with type ''O" blood are more likely to have sluggish thyroid than other people.  While on the iodine free diet for the limited two weeks, you can't have sea vegetables, since they are quite high in iodine.  That's why you can't have anything with carageenan in it.  It's been a while since I've had any milk substitutes, so I'm not sure if the almond milk uses carageenan or not.  It probably does.  Most things like that use carageenan as a thickening agent. Most ice cream has carageenan in it, too, so you will want to just avoid ice cream for the duration of this test, too.  It will be in the ice creams that aren't made with dairy, too.  I have never tried the hemp milk, but you will want to read the label first and make sure.

There is a way to make your own almond milk.  And, the home method doesn't have any carageenan in it at all.  Plus, it's less expensive and looks very easy.  http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Milk-an-Almond-fresh-homemade-almond-milk/?ALLSTEPS  

I made sure to check my facts about whether almonds are safe for your test or not.  They are if you get the unsalted kind.  For the almond milk, though, you will want the raw almonds.  I found a helpful list here:  http://www.livestrong.com/article/26640-list-lowiodine-foods/

This almond milk recipe could be helpful, too, for anyone living where they can't get hemp milk.  I still don't know if hemp milk has carageenan or not, but I'm pretty sure commercial almond milk does.  I think they use carageenan as a stabilizer and emulsifier.  The homemade kind, though, really only has almonds and water.  The last step talks about adding the salt and the sugar to it to taste.  Well, you will want to leave the salt out of it for the duration of the test.  Unless you use natural sea salt (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sea-salt/AN01142) which is low in iodine.  The reason you want to avoid salted almonds in the first place is be cause the salt they use in processed foods of any kind is always table salt, which is fortified with iodine, unless the food specifies that the salt is sea salt.  Even with the natural sea salt, you want to keep the amount low just for the test, to ensure you stay low iodine.