Thyroid Disorders Community
Low T4 and high T3

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Low T4 and high T3

I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism approx. 7-8 years ago.  My PCP researched Armour Thyroid at my request due to my reactions to most synthetic Rx's and my mother and brother's luck with Armour.  He started me on 90 mg and the re-test came back in normal levels on that dosage 30 days later.  For 4 years I was level on 90 mg,  When I became pregnant with my daughter he had to up my dosage to 120 mg throughout the pregnancy.  There were some symptoms that prior to pregnancy that never went away even after 4 years on the Armour and test results in the normal range, and since I was still on the borderline low side after the delivery of my daughter he left me on the higher dosage as I was feeling better and loosing some of the weight I had gained.  I remained in the normal range for another 2 1/2 years.  About 9 months ago I had a blood test that indicated I was taking too much Armour Thyroid.  Within a few days of my doctor lowering my dosage down to 90 mg I was so exhausted and lethargic I put in my 8 hrs at work, came home and slept from 5:30 pm till 6:00 am, waking up long enough to eat supper and to spend 20 -30 minutes with my family, and that was a struggle.  After 2 weeks I pestered my doctor until he ordered a re-test.  The re-test indicated I was not taking enough Armour so he upped my dosage back to 120 mg.  Four days ago I had another follow up blood test to check my levels and it indicated that my T4 was very low and hypo stage, but my T3 was very high in the hyper stage.  My doctor has stated he will be referring me on to an endocronologist.  As a side note I had a miscarriage near the 4th month 2 years ago and my periods have been very heavy and painful since then.  Can you shed some light and information on the abnormal tests in recent months and what things I should be asking or info to take to my PCP and the referring endo?