Thyroid Disorders Community
Low TSH - Low T3 & T4 - Help!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Low TSH - Low T3 & T4 - Help!

I dont understand these lab results.  I had to beg for an Endo appt but finally got one.  I have been in unsuccessful treatment for Fibro and Depression for years and been asking for a Thyroid panel.  In addition to the 9 yrs of Rx - I had to be put on narcalepsy meds to stay awake - my hair is falling out - my voice is hoarse - my throat and ears are killing me.  After my 3rd round of antibiotics - I finally got one done and I dont know what it means....   Help!

TSH = 0.96 (0.4 - 4.50)
T3 Free = 300  (230-420 pg/dL)
T4 Free = 1.0  (0.8 - 1.8 ng/dL)
Thyroglobulin Antibodies = 97  (<20 IU/mL)
Thyroid Peroxidase Ant = 346  (<35 IU/mL)

BP stays 80/60 range   temp stays @ 98.5

Hypothyroidism runs in my family.  My TSH is always low so I have never been able to get a doc to run a panel for me.  My appt with the Endo is Sept 1st.  My mom believes that I have had Hashimotos all along and not Bipolar and Fibro.  Does anyone out there think this may be possible?  
Pam, fire your doctor.

This screams HASHI!!!

My Peroxidase is 221.
My Tgab is 15.
I have Hashi.

Your antibody numbers are higher than mine!

TSH does not always paint the full thyroid picture. My TSH is supposedly normal. TSH is a pituitary hormone. Your T4 and T3 are low because you are having hypothyroidism from your Hashi.

While you're waiting for your appointment, get some vitamin D. Most Hashi people have low D.I take 1,000 IU D-3. Get some B complex, B12 and your other vitamins. Take them with meals.

Demand some T4 or T3/T4 drugs from the endo, and an ultrasound is recommended.

Take care...
:) Tamra
My D levels are ok.  Will they treat Hashi at my levels?
Yes. And your FT4 is in the low range. Don't look at the TSH. That doesn't paint the full thyroid picture. It is a pituitary hormone.

They HAVE to treat your Hashi, so they can get those antibodies under control. If not, you will get worse, and your FT4/FT3 will go lower.

:) Tamra
Once your body gets enough T4 and or T3 meds, your pituitary gland will tell your thyroid to shut down, and then the antibodies won't have anything to attack. Below is a clipping from a surgeon's website. No, you don't have thyroid cancer. That's just the name of his website because he specializes in cancer operations.

:) Tamra

http://www.thyroidcancer.com/hashimotos_thyroiditis.htm

"The only reason the thyroid gland functions at all is because the pituitary gland in the brain sends down a hormone that stimulates the thyroid gland to work. By taking thyroid medication by mouth, we are actually “tricking” the pituitary gland into believing that the thyroid is functioning normally, and it therefore stops sending this messenger down to stimulate the thyroid gland to work. Once the thyroid stops working, it will sort of fall off the radar screen of the immune system and it will no longer send antibodies to attack the thyroid gland."
My ANTI-THYROID PEROXIDASE  was over 4000 <35
My ANTI-THYROGLOBIN was 43 <35 and I have Graves and had Hyperthyroidism.

No wonder I didnt get better without RAI lol.

You have an Autoimmune Disease that needs to be treated.
It would appear that you have an autoimmune disease (Hashimoto's); however, it might be difficult to get a doctor to treat you with thyroid hormones because your thyroid results actually fall into the "normal" category.  Keep pushing for treatment.  

Yes, I'd say it's quite likely that you've had Hashi for some time.  Doctors often prefer to pass out antidepressants and pain pills instead of thyroid hormones........We've not been able to figure out why.............................
What about severe ear pain and difficulty swallowing?  This has been the case for some time now - but no antibiodic will help and Dr says ears look fine.  Neck is not visibly swollen..........  ??
There may be something that they can't feel in your throat - I was sent for an ultra sound even though my ENT couldn't feel anything - sure enough - nodules and inflammation, which caused a choking feeling.  I don't know about the ear pain, but suspect it's related.  

I get a funky little cramp on the underside of my chin once in a while that goes all the way down the left front side of my neck.........This is not a fun thing we are dealing with and symptoms crop up all the time.  We tend to blame everything on thyroid, but sometimes we have to look elsewhere also.  In your case, if there's nothing wrong with your ears, there may be a connection with the thyroid issues.  
My ears hurt. My docs looked in my ears and said nothing was wrong. Sometimes food would get lodged in my throat. I have four nodules, three on the left and one on the right. That explains why left ear hurts so much. The good news is that since I've been on Synthroid, the ear/throat pain has dramatically decreased. Synthroid shrinks nodules.
:) Tamra
I have suffered with the 'runny ear sensation' for many years and it still occurs...but moreso when I am Hypo.